Monday, March 07, 2016

even if it's just in your wildest dreams

I'd say today was pretty good, all things considered. I slept later than usual, for reasons that are something of a mystery - but maybe my body still occasionally remembers what it was like to have a weekend, rather than a series of writing/slogging days interspersed with series of drinking/debauching days, and is trying to help me get back into a standard person's calendar. Or maybe I'm still detoxing and last night's moderate wine consumption set me back. It's all unclear.

What I do know is that I got out of bed sometime around 9:30, and I considered going down to the Marina/Fort Mason, but decided I didn't want to walk there, didn't want to take a lyft, and also didn't want to drive because the farmers' market at Fort Mason would ruin my parking plans. So instead, I stayed home and worked - first, with a banana and some iced coffee to fortify me, and then, way later (way way too much later, since my blood sugar suddenly tanked while I was cooking) with hash browns and eggs over easy cooked in a bit of leftover bacon grease. I remembered that I had bought hash browns forever ago and stuck them in the freezer, so I tried making them for the first time - and I also remembered that I had bacon grease in the fridge, which made for some totally delicious fried eggs. This was exactly the breakfast I wanted, even if it was two hours later than it should have been.

But the morning was quite productive, even though I need to sternly remind myself for the next two weeks that there are no business things more important than finishing my book - getting distracted by things like social media and ads aren't really all that useful, even though they temporarily feel productive. And I spent the afternoon writing, and it was all going pretty well.

Then I took a break to call my parents, which took two hours rather than the usual single hour, so that kind of reshaped my early evening. I did a bit more writing after I got off the phone with them, but I had to put away the laptop and meet up with Katrina, Adit, and Priyanka at My Tofu House for family dinner. It was a smaller group than usual, but that was kind of nice - unfortunately, we waited in line for far too long, but the soft tofu soup was worth it. And we discussed housing and crime in SF, all of which are getting all of us down, so it may be time for me to move to Sonoma and start a winery/writing retreat space and then encourage all my friends to move up there with me (or at least visit on the weekends).

But that's a story for another time (perhaps another lifetime). After dinner, I came home and read another book for the contest I'm judging - it started off promising, but I decided that the main characters are just awful people, which made for a kind of annoying couple of hours. But it was short and to the point, so whatev. And now, I need to let the rain lull me to sleep so that I can write/read/potentially allow myself to have fun tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: