Thursday, March 24, 2016

i'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime

I am in ye olde Iowa, finally, after a long adventure with many twists and turns. Yesterday, as I said, was partially fun/exciting and partially stressful/exhausting. I had a lot of fun people-watching and talking to strangers, as is my wont, and I got to end the day with a four-hour convo with Katie (and occasionally James) over a bottle of wine in their basement, which was pretty much perfect.

Today was slightly less perfect - getting four hours of sleep for the second night in a row was not good for me. And then I went back to the airport, which was not good for my bank account - while my lyft last night was a reasonable $70 (when the roads were horrible), my uber this morning was at 4.8x surge pricing, so it cost $300 to get to the airport. I think my flight was $303 roundtrip, so the uber was a rather unfortunate addition. It was still worth it to see Katie (and to sleep in a bed for four hours, and shower before getting on the plane), although that would have paid for a flight to see her for a whole weekend some other time.

But my mood grew surlier, paradoxically, when I got to the airport and sailed through security in five minutes - I had planned to get there two hours early in case the lines were terrible, and while they were terrible at check-in, I had a boarding pass and TSA precheck and was through in a blink. So I sat, in a v. surly manner, and had breakfast at the airport - I must have had an epic case of resting bitch face because the server, upon seeing that I hadn't finished my omelette, asked in a v. worried manner if something was wrong with it. The only thing wrong was my exhausted body and my rebellious stomach, so I set his fears at ease (or maybe scared him away entirely).

However, my flight to Des Moines was on time, and I alternated with sleeping and writing (more sleeping, less writing). Then my parents picked me up, and we had a delish lunch at Johnny's, as per usual. We drove home after that, with a stop at a grocery store, where I got some rather bad coffee to keep me going while they grabbed some necessities.

Then we came home, and I mostly wasted the rest of the day - but I did accomplish the feat of rebooking my return ticket without a penalty, so I'm going to stay here a couple of extra days to make up for the fact that I basically lost yesterday and today. I also watched some basketball, including the Kansas game (go Big 12, I guess). And I had supper with my parents (also delish), and then [censored] got home around ten, so we spent the next hour and a half talking about [censored], [censored], [censored], etc.

But now I'm desperate for sleep - I should have gone to bed two hours ago, since I must write most of tomorrow and I need to rest my fog-filled brain (mental fog, not #karlthefog, although he lives in my heart). Goodnight!

No comments: