Thursday, March 10, 2016

though my mind could think i still was a madman

I need to go to bed immediately, but I didn't have to take a nap before writing this - probably because I took a nap this afternoon in preparation for the night's activities. Today was pretty great, all in all - I got up too late (which will definitely happen again tomorrow, since it's now 2am), but I did several hours of excellent writing this morning/early afternoon thanks to a judicious combination of Freedom + Brain.fm. Freedom blocks the internet, and Brain.fm plays hypnotic crazy-making music that forces me to work and then have nervous breakdowns after, so the combination made for a very strong writing session today.

But I finally took a break to have lunch, and then I spent the afternoon doing my laundry + organizing my tax documents. I still have a lot to do on the tax front, but I finally sorted things out and made sure I had all my 1099s and other documents, so that makes me feel a little better. And laundry always makes me feel better, since I live like a Victorian lady and change clothes two or three times a day, which means a week's worth of laundry is 2-3 weeks for someone else. Did someone mention we are having a drought?

sssanyway. At some point I finally showered, and then I walked down to the Mission to have a drink and some snacks at ABV with one of my old coworkers. Amy and I worked together many millions of years ago, back when I was on ads before I left work the first time, and she wanted to get my insight on the publishing process. Luckily I can be bought with a whisky cocktail and a fish taco, so I told her everything I could think to tell her, and it was all good.

When we were done, I left her and met up with John and Papalote, where I had two more tacos and some water, which was restorative. Then we grabbed a drink at some random bar, and then we went to Alamo Drafthouse to see 'Hail Caeser', which is the new Coen brothers movie with George Clooney et al. Alamo Drafthouse is a relatively new addition to the SF movie theatre scene, and it's kind of interesting - they offer table service throughout the movie, so you can order food and drinks and stuff while watching, which is cool. However, they only had three rows of seats for the screen we saw, which means a) I don't know how they're going to make enough money since the tickets aren't marked up compared to the rest of the city theatres, and b) 30% of the people there (us included) have pretty bad seats because the front row is too close to the screen.

That said, I would see it again (and try the food/drink) if I could get tickets for the rows farther back. And the movie itself was enjoyable - it was actually pretty terrible, but individual scenes were great, so I enjoyed myself. Then John and I walked back down Valencia and ended up at Monk's Kettle, where he had a couple of beers and I had a couple of glasses of wine and we split some fries and talked about Communism and zoos and women dying in elevators, and it was all good.

And then I came home, and now I need to sleep immediately before I fall asleep on the couch - goodnight!

No comments: