Thursday, May 18, 2006

last week i had the strangest dream

So, I meant to come back to the office and work tonight. However, I had dinner plans with Matt, which I should have known would render me incapable of performing serious work-related tasks afterwards. Not that I'm seriously impaired in any stretch of the imagination, but since many of the tasks that I need to accomplish are related to number-crunching or the ability to craft coherent emails to important executives, I should save myself a lot of future heartache and avoid them altogether tonight. Hanging out with Matt was truly lovely; we didn't leave the ofice until almost eight because I had a conference call, but we went to a pub for drinks, then to a v. lovely dinner (steak and half a bottle of wine *always* makes me happy), then back to the pub for a final drink before I caught a cab back to the office/apartment at midnight. It was just nice to relax with someone I know; we're way, way past the awkward stage where you can still only talk about work (although we do talk about work a lot because, for me at least, that's all I do), so it's just relaxing in the way that real friends are relaxing, rather than the really nice people I've met here who will become friends someday but aren't completely and utterly there yet. So, I'm happy we went for dinner, but now it means that I'll have to exercise some extreme efficiency tomorrow. I'm leaving straightaway from work to go to Kerry, which I'm really excited about--I've heard that Kerry is absolutely beautiful, which is rather necessary after the depression-tinged urbanity of Belfast.

Anyway, hanging out with Matt made me feel much calmer, which is good--it's nice to have a life outside of work, even if he is inextricably linked to work. It's rather sad that I consider 'life outside of work' to be 'dinner', but whatever. Regardless, I should go home and pack and then sleep, since I'm leaving for Kerry as soon as work ends tomorrow. Don't be surprised if I don't write until Sunday--but hopefully I'll have some nice pictures for y'all. Also, happy birthday to Uncle Mark!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle says, thanks for the birthday greetings, but that is still tomorrow here. Kerry is spectacular. We did the Ring of Kerry, but I think the Dingle penninsula looks interesting as well. The castle in Killarney is a good one. Macross House is also a good visit. If you are in a small vehicle Steigh (sp?) Fort is worth a visit; buses cannot go there. As you pass through Tipperary look for Casey's (a Texaco station) I wish I had stopped and photographed. It is on the south side of the road. This of course is a midwest item your bicoastal friends won't comprehend.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are taking lots of pics to show me. :-) Spent part of the evening with the folks for the eldest "little ones" 8th grade graduation. Also Happy B-day Uncle Mark. Have a good time in Kerry!