Tuesday, October 30, 2007

the world is not enough

I guess I haven't blogged in awhile - with my parents visiting, there isn't the pressure to ensure that they know that I'm alive, and they wore me out every day with all of our touring. We had a great time, though! Friday, we went to the city and toured Fishermen's Wharf and Alcatraz (which was v. cool - I'm glad I saw it after only eight years in California), and then did a driving tour of Chinatown, Financial District, the crookedest street (Lombard Street), etc. I took them to my favorite Mexican restaurant in Mountain View for dinner, which they both hated, so that made me sad. Saturday, we drove up to Sonoma, which was v. lovely - the weather was perfect, and we had fun doing the same Benziger tram tour that I did w/Ritu and Maneesh oh-so-long ago :( We also had some delicious champagne at Gloria Ferrer and stopped at a vista point to see the Golden Gate Bridge just before sunset. I redeemed myself with dinner at Left Bank, which was lucky - I'm glad I was forgiven for the Mexican debacle. Sunday, we had brunch at Marie Callendar's, picked up a new battery for my old car, and then watched my dad calculate a bid for a project using my absurdly-large, absurdly-pink Hello Kitty calculator (a gift from my Aunt Becky).

My parents left around 3:30 to drive back to Iowa, and I spent the rest of the afternoon at Laura's, making a papier-mache toucan beak for my Halloween costume. Today, I slogged at the office until after nine p.m., came home, painted my mask, and then worked from 10-12. I also had a lovely chat with my friend Adit, who is really everything that one could want in a friend - yes, he pressured me to write about him in this blog, but he is v. endearing despite (or perhaps because of) his need for affection. He had told me that he was going to stay with me tonight, and then dashed my hopes by finding accommodation with Sri, but it was still nice to talk to him on the phone for a bit. Now, though, I should really go to bed - this week is going to be hellish, and I need to maintain a bit of my well-restedness from the past few days. Goodnight!

No comments: