Saturday, September 20, 2008

he's a pirate

This is a four-minute post. The nicest thing happened today; I was sitting in my favorite work cafe waiting for my sandwich and brainstorming the storyline for a future book when someone sat down next to me to wait for his sandwich. We'd said hi to each other in the halls over the past couple of years but never really interacted -- and the first thing he said to me (after asking if he could sit in the chair next to me) was that he loved when I presented to team meetings because I say hilarious things and clearly don't take myself too seriously. It brightened my entire day, because it was completely unexpected, and rather irrelevant to the immediate surroundings (I haven't presented to any large group in three weeks, and before that it had been 6+ months). Unexpected compliments are the best.

Work was work, but I made it home fairly early, and thought I would make progress on brainstorming the next book -- based on the feedback I'm getting so far, people expect/want the next story to be Ferguson, whom I haven't even planned for, and they don't seem into Madeleine, who is supposed to star in the next book. So I either need to a) write Ferguson's story first (doable), b) change Madeleine in this book (probably necessary)...or c) completely change my mind and have Ferguson and Madeleine get together in the next book.

I brainstormed for about half an hour, decided to take a break to make some fajitas, and then ended up playing Civilization the rest of the night instead. I think I need my sleeping brain to tackle this problem. But the timer just went off, so it's time for bed!

No comments: