Wednesday, September 03, 2008

i am the warrior

Today was comprised of a variety of unfortunate events, interspersed with some great things, which made it truly a mixed bag. I woke up on time, felt good on the way to the shuttle -- then got overconfident about my stomach and started checking my email before we got out of the city. This made me so violently carsick that I thought I was going to throw up, and the nausea plagued me for several hours after that. I also got my allergy shots today -- now they're doing one in each arm (dust on the left, pollens and grasses on the right). For the first few sessions, I didn't really react at all, but this time my right arm has swelled up and there's a hard, hot lump about 2.5 inches across around the injection site. Bleh.

However, as mentioned, the rest of the day was just fine. I was productive at work, and also took a minute to wait for a custom-made sandwich at my favorite cafe. It was a truly excellent sandwich, although I surprised even myself by ordering it without meat -- but with havarti and pepperjack cheese, roasted peppers, onions, mushrooms, avocados, tomatoes, and sprouts, all run through a baking oven so that everything melted together, I didn't feel that I was missing out. I ran a couple of errands on the way home from the bus stop before coming home and eating a frozen pizza (but since it was purchased at Whole Foods, it of course is organic, and it was quite a different experience from Tony's or Red Baron).

Finally, I was going to work on my book, but I needed a night off after the intense focus on it this weekend. So I decided to watch one of my recent Netflix arrivals -- 'Gosford Park'. It's crazy that I haven't seen it before; period dramas, Clive Owen, and Ryan Phillippe are all right up my alley, and the movie won some pretty widespread acclaim when it was released a few years ago. I adored it -- as you might be able to tell by the fact that I just watched 'Pride and Prejudice' as well, I'm looking for visual inspiration for romance novels, and feel that I can learn some stuff about storytelling from movies in a way that won't make me feel incredibly inferior like I do if I read something that is particularly well-written. So if you have any ideas for classic romances/period dramas/comedies that I should watch, let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel the need to tranq the Phelps fan commenter.

Firstly, he garnered immense attention in Athens.

Secondly, while his accomplishments in Beijing were amazing, it was absurd that it completely overshadowed the countless other athletes who have been just as single-minded and dedicated to their goal as Phelps.

Lastly, who is sick enough to leave an angry comment re: the Olympics on someone's blog?

Sounds like that nut needs to hit the pool!