Monday, September 22, 2008

you've got to cut until it hurts

So today was basically an exercise in frustration; I usually don't blog a lot about negative emotions here (or at least, I haven't in a couple of months because I really haven't had anything), but today was a perfect storm of personal and professional feelings of fury, sadness, betrayal, annoyance, etc. I'm feeling a lot better now, but I had trouble making it through the day; I actually left campus for twenty minutes to go to Starbucks and get a mocha (and coffee for my team leads), even though we have endless free beverages at work, because I really felt the need to get in my car and get away from people for a few minutes. I've been eating healthier since getting back to California and so switched to nonfat lattes instead of mochas, and my first mocha in two months tasted unbelievably sweet -- I used to think they weren't sweet enough, but after cleansing my palate, it turns out they're a little sickly. How sad!

However, I left work at five and rocked out to my new iPod on the drive back to the city, which was pretty much perfect; traffic was relatively light, and while I arrived windblown from driving at seventy miles per hour with the windows down and the sunroof open, I was in a slightly better mood because of it. I made a delicious salmon/cream cheese/guacamole panini, took a nap, and then had an *awesome* hour-long conversation with Heather (aka dear respected madam), who is currently in Beijing. I did about an hour of work while IM'ing with Walter, Oniel, and Vidya, and the combination of the three of them completely lifted me out of my funk. So Vidya gets a label tonight, even though I didn't see her, because she's generally winning and I wish she were here (although if she were here, I would need to find a new place to live).

Tomorrow I have an all-day training, which is unfortunate, but it's in the SF office, which means I can take a bus rather than driving for an hour, and I should be home by six. Or, more likely, I can stop at Sephora and do some retail therapy. If I look more glittery than usual for the next few days, you'll know why! And now, it's time for bed.

No comments: