Saturday, September 06, 2008

little compact asian girl

I really meant to be good tonight. I came home early, made dinner, changed into pajamas, took a nap, and then started rereading key classic scenes from favorite romance novels in an effort to discern what works and what doesn't work from a point-of-view standpoint.

Then my willpower failed me. Both Heather and Pete (who are the managers on my team who report to me) texted/called me to get me to come out to the bar that they were at, and I ended up relenting. I then made the further mistake of ordering a cosmopolitan -- and anyone who knows me knows that cosmopolitans are my downfall. It's amazing I can still drink the damn things, given that anytime I have one of them, I inevitably have at least five. Anyway, we were at the bar in support of Heather's boyfriend Mike, who is the drummer for a recently-launched amateur band.

The craziest of crazy moments happened when I realized that the lead singer of the band was none other than Guru, whom I've crossed paths with many times at Stanford. He was John's resident my sophomore year, which means he was the same year/dorm as Walter, Felicia, etc., and I saw him many, many times over the course of his time at Stanford. He also starred in one of Adit's video productions as one of the profiled 'Underground Indians'. So to walk into a bar that I had no intention of going to, and find that I was cheering for Guru as a lead singer of a rock band was v. surreal to say the least.

But the show was entertaining, and I got to meet Pete's recently-affianced girlfriend, which was v. nice. After the show, we progressed to a karaoke bar, which was v. entertaining. Pete and Bridgette (the fiancee) went home after that, but Heather, Mike (the boyfriend), Guru, Guru's girlfriend, and I went to a diner and had hangover-mitigating greasy food. I tried to use the restroom there, but someone was locked in the bathroom, presumably passed out; the staff tried to use my credit card to open the door, but I ended up waiting until I got home a few minutes ago, so hopefully the girl isn't dead in there.

Now I should really go to bed and hope I don't suffer too many ill effects from my cosmopolitans; the novel awaits this weekend, and I need to make some progress on it, so goodnight!

1 comment:

f...... said...

i feel famous.