Thursday, September 18, 2008

those flashing lights come from everywhere

I'm going to bed soon because I want to get up early so that I can go to the office without traffic, plow through some stuff, and then leave early so that I can get started with the weekend. Today was good, although I almost didn't go into work because I woke up with a splitting headache, but I felt better later in the day. I unfortunately had to get allergy shots today; I really hope that these things make a difference in my overall quality of life (and in particular that they cure or at least stop the progression of my oral allergies), because it's a pain in the ass (or, more accurately, the arms) to get six shots a week for months on end.

I left work in time to finally make it to Goodwill and donate the crap that had been sitting in my car since I cleared out the remnants of my storage unit three weeks ago. This was key, since the stuff in the backseat of my car made me unwilling to drive my car and park it on any city street, given the increased likelihood of having your car broken into if there is visible stuff (even if that visible stuff is a dismantled kitchen table and some Ikea lamps -- unfortunately, I still have the lamps, since Goodwill apparently doesn't take them). Then, I went to my favorite art supply store in Palo Alto and bought nine 8x10 frames for the photos that I want to put up, so maybe I'll get around to decorating my walls this weekend. Or, maybe I'll spend the weekend doing nothing. We'll see!

On the drive home from work, while I was tranced out to a Tiesto CD that I picked up at Best Buy (because I desperately needed to pee and then felt guilty about using their restroom and so bought something, even though since I've spent thousands of dollars with them over the years, I really should have felt no guilt at all), Priyanka called to tell me that she had read my romance novel draft. It was v. nice of her to call with feedback, and what she said was really helpful -- but it was also nice to hear that she seemed to genuinely like it, and that she was interested in going back and reading it again to get a sense of specific things that she would suggest changing. Based on the sense I've gotten from Priyanka, Ritu, and a partial read from Heather in Beijing, it sounds like I'm on the right track, which is awesome. It's totally nervewracking knowing that my baby is out in the world, but I suppose I need to get used to that if I intend to be seriously published.

Now, though, I should get some sleep so that I can get to my weekend as soon as possible!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waiting for the Iowa copy. BTW - the theme of the box was "everything is free". I guess that could fit with your interpretation of tawdry debauchery.