Monday, October 27, 2008

can't stop, addicted to the shindig

Today is my five-year anniversary with the Goog. While I'm quite happy that I'm here, I did have a moment tonight when I realized that, five years ago, I expected that I would be halfway through an English PhD by now. The PhD dream is pretty much dead at this point, and mostly unlamented, but sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if I'd gone down that road. I would likely have a lot less stuff, given that I would have been on a stipend instead of on a salary, and I almost certainly would not have gotten to live the fancy expat lifestyle in two different countries. I also wouldn't have comprehensive health insurance or a 401(k) or time to work on my romance novel. All in all, it seems like I made the right decision, but maybe I'll have a midlife crisis someday and go back to school anyway.

I had meetings pretty much straight through from nine to five-thirty -- clearly I need to get control of my calendar, but it's v. difficult. Then, I left work promptly at five-thirty to meet Terry at Cafe Borrone in Menlo Park, where I duplicated last week's order and had one of their fantastic sandwiches (turkey and gouda with tomatoes, caramelized onions and garlic mayonnaise on foccacia) while we caught up on life. If I fail in my romance novel endeavors and she succeeds in her long-term entrepreneurial goals, I may be able to score a job through nepotism, which is exciting -- but if I want to keep eating for the next five years until that happens, I should probably go to bed soon so that I can get up in time to go to work tomorrow. I have to attend a meeting with my team's directors tomorrow, which doesn't really intimidate me at all, but I'm a little rusty since I still haven't done much hardcore presenting since getting back from leave -- I made one of the ugliest PowerPoint slides I've ever made tonight, because I've lost all my skillz. I may have spent the last half-decade making graphs and powerpoints, but apparently those skillz are rather fleeting. Sadness. And now, goodnight!

5 comments:

f...... said...

what would edward tufte?
http://chartchooser.juiceanalytics.com/

Anonymous said...

go back to school, its great?...i think?
-z

Sara said...

@felicia - I love charts! On my old laptop I'd customized the color schemes in excel so that the default wasn't the ugly grey+blue/burgundy/etc., but I'm too lazy to do that with the new one.

@z - that doesn't sound so enthusiastic :(

Anonymous said...

reading sucks, i think its about time law school came out with books on tape...or even 'docu-drama' versions of th cases so you can watch them like an episode of the hills....
-z

Sara said...

@z - is there a market to package old "Law and Order" episodes in ways to illustrate key legal concepts so that you don't have to read? Maybe you should drop out of school and pursue that!