Thursday, October 30, 2008

pretty soon they've got her headed for the door

I had a training in the San Francisco office this morning, which means that I could take the MUNI to work rather than spending over an hour sitting in traffic. Because the training was on executive presence, and because I wanted to embrace life as a working girl in the city ("working girl" in the corporate whore sense, not the whore whore sense), I wore my high-heeled knee-high black boots, which felt great even if my feet are now killing me from wearing heels three times in four days.

What felt even greater was just working in the city. The cafe is gorgeous, and I had the first hamburger I've had in months while looking out over the bay and having a 1:1 with Pete. And even though it rained in the afternoon, I was still happy; I had my umbrella, and I put it to good use while waiting for the bus. I left work early and picked up my dry cleaning from yesterday, then spent the evening catching up on work emails.

While I'm glad that I got to work out of the city today, it makes me sad to know how awesome my life would be if I could work in SF every day. It's probably good for multiple reasons; going through Union Square every day would be devastating for my bank account, and there are fewer opportunities for 'visibility' (to use a v. corporate word) in SF because the leadership of my organization is mostly based in the south bay. And, I have lots of friends in my current office, most of whom I would never see if I started working out of the city.

However, it's v. tempting to try to swing something related to working in San Francisco. I got home in time to actually feel like I was home, even if I spent the evening working. I enjoyed a pot of the Samovar breakfast blend tea that I bought yesterday, and it was even more perfect than I remembered it from yesterday -- perhaps because my cups and mugs have handles, and I prefer white sugar to raw sugar, even if raw sugar is simultaneously the way of the past and the way of the future.

Okay, my thoughts are particularly disjointed tonight, and I have to be at work at eight a.m. for a meeting. I also have to be at work in costume at eight a.m. -- not too difficult, since my costume (I'm dressing as Laura, one of our former directors) is easy, but I want to blow dry my hair, which means I should go to bed now. Goodnight!

No comments: