Tuesday, October 21, 2008

deprioritizing the title line tonight

I'm too tired to come up with a title. Today was a failure on the balance front; not so much because I worked too much today (although I was at the office from 8:30-7, then worked when I got home until now), but because I was taking part in a summit to set some longer-term strategy, and realized just how much I'm inadvertently signed up for. It's not even stuff I necessarily signed myself up for, but somehow the things that I'm working on, from the whole team itself to several of the projects that I'm signed up for, are seen by much of the organization as vital to our success over the next few quarters. Sounds exciting/important/great for my naturally competitive/ambitious nature, but not so great for my goal to become a romance novelist. The way I visualized this was that scene from 'The Little Mermaid' where Ariel is singing and Ursula's ghostly magic hands reach down her throat and pull out her voice -- my job is getting its hands down my throat and threatens to pull out my creative voice if I can't manage to find the key to unlock the spell. Since the key lies totally within myself and it's utterly up to me to make sure that I don't get overwhelmed by my job, theoretically I should be safe -- but I'm often my own worst enemy, so it will be interesting to see how things go.

Other than that, though, things were good; I'm not the most patient person in general, and all-day management things tend to annoy me, but at least I like the people I'm working with. I dropped someone off at the Mountain View train station, which gave me a chance to get another earl grey milk tea from Verde (yay) before driving home. Sadly, all but two hours in the next three days are already scheduled, including meetings every morning at 8:30. Bleh. So, I suppose I should go to bed -- goodnight!

No comments: