Tuesday, October 07, 2008

victory is ours once we strike the source

I'm blogging v. early tonight because I don't want to risk missing two days in a week, and I know that I will want to go straight to bed when I get home. I'm at the office, but I'm done working for the day; I got here around eight a.m., and got through everything I wanted to accomplish today, but I have a conference call with India from 7-7:30 that I'm sticking around for. As soon as that's done, I'm driving to San Mateo (which is happily on the way to the city) to have an impromptu dinner with Jasmine and Michael. Jasmine IM'd me a couple of hours ago asking if I wanted to come over, and since I hadn't seen them in ages, I decided to prioritize hanging out and reconnecting over working on my book (or, more likely, over going to bed early). I'm looking forward to seeing them and their new place, even if it means it will be hard to drag myself out of bed in the morning.

Today was great. I wonder how much happier I would be if I were totally set and committed to a business career -- for someone who wants to be a novelist, I'm doing all the right things to be an executive instead. I'm definitely not unhappy -- I'm actually quite happy right now. But I also recognize that, given all the lessons I learned over the past few months about my passions, long-term desires, etc., my level of commitment to my career does not match where I should be focusing my time. Highly ironic, since my job is all about maximizing efficiencies, determining the next strategic opportunity and shifting resources there, etc. -- and in my own life, I'm not putting maximal effort on the highest opportunities. One could argue that I am (since my job is high opportunity, and writing is high risk), but I need to shift some of my personal resources away from work and towards the book, even if it's so difficult for me to do.

Okay, meeting time -- and then San Mateo, and then bed. Goodnight!

No comments: