Thursday, October 02, 2008

follow me, don't follow me

Complete failure on the work front. I worked twelve hours today, plus my two hours of commute, which was rather unfortunate. I had meetings straight from nine to six (which you'll notice means no lunch break -- I had to be ten minutes late to my 1pm meeting so that I could grab a sandwich). However, despite that, I still had a good day -- part of the reason I'm drowning in work is because I have a lot of direct reports, but meeting with them is the highlight of my day, and I had some great conversations. My shiny new project involved a rather frustrating two-hour meeting, but I'm meeting about it again tomorrow and hope to make progress. And, the reason I stayed late was to do final edits on the slides for the business plan that I'm co-presenting tomorrow. The short-term bad news is that the preso is at eight a.m. (which means I need to go to bed asap); the long-term good news is that we don't have to do another business plan for a year, and this will free up a lot of time.

In other news, Doug called me while I was on my way home; we have an online mafia game going, and it's probably a good thing that I got killed the first night (Monday) since it turns out this week would have been bad timing in terms of my ability to find breaks in the day to play. I'm looking forward to brainstorming the ruleset for the next game -- while I have in many ways managed to bury my dorkier instincts in the pursuit of corporate success (since advertising divisions are substantially less dork-filled than engineering divisions), mafia does give my inner weirdo a good outlet.

Okay, that's all you get out of me -- it's time for bed! And I'm vowing not to work this weekend, regardless of what sky-is-falling things happen.

1 comment:

f...... said...

sometimes it saddens me to think that i had not the emotional stamina to ever play Loro mafia. on the other hand, perhaps it was for the best that i avoided the long hours of play and other drama. am i remembering this wrong?