Sunday, May 17, 2009

how can you be so heartless

Today was a complete reversion to all my bad old habits; other than two loads of laundry this morning and a conversation with my parents this afternoon, all I did was work on stuff for my day job from 11am until now. Granted, I spent a couple of hours doing work email from a cafe with Adit and a couple of his friends, so I still managed to see people for a bit. But this last week was brutal; I had so many pressing things and so many meetings that my method of triage was to ignore all incoming email (except stuff from my boss and director) for several days, which was really not a good thing in the long run even if it helped my sanity in the short run. So, I spent the afternoon wading through the hundreds of emails sitting there waiting for me (I'm down to 37, although they're the ones that require thought, so I need to get to them soon). Then, I spent the evening writing three performance reviews that I have to deliver tomorrow.

Luckily, because I took today to get more caught up, this week is shaping up to be almost manageable. That's of course dependent on how productive I am in my off-hours at work -- but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to squeeze out a couple of hours to work on Madeleine and Ferguson's story this week. Time will tell, but hope springs eternal.

I had a sudden, overwhelming desire to go back to India about half an hour ago -- I could actually picture myself in the upstairs lounge area of the first apartment I lived in in India, with the cold marble floors and the couches outside of Irish Matt's bedroom. Maybe my memory was triggered because I was working late into the night in an uncomfortably warm environment (it was almost ninety degrees in San Francisco today, which the city does not handle well) -- but whatever triggered it, I'm dreaming of India tonight. Don't worry, I'm not going to run off to another far-flung locale; but for one night, the memories are nice.

No comments: