Monday, May 18, 2009

you've got me wondering why i like it rough

I'm sitting at my desk wearing pajamas and a pair of fuchsia heels. Last Friday, after I got home from Nordstrom, I bought three pairs of shoes via Zappos (love them!), and they upgraded me to free one-day shipping (as usual - they have excellent customer service), so my shoes were waiting for me when I got home. Two pairs worked -- the fuchsia heels and a pair of black patent leather flats. The third pair, a huarache-inspired heeled sandal, didn't work at all; they didn't fit and likely wouldn't have appealed to me in any case. So, since those are going back, I ordered two other pairs instead -- a cute flat sandal and a low-heeled business-y loafer.

I guess you could say that I'm on a kick to upgrade my image. Despite the tinsel in my hair, in general I feel much more confident and portray more of the persona I want to portray when I'm spiffed up (like today, when I rocked a grey dress and silver heels) than on the days when I'm wearing jeans and an old sweatshirt. But my shoe collection trends heavily towards ultra-casual (flipflops and sneakers), so I'm justifying my love of new shoes by buying shoes that I can pair effectively with my more professional look.

Today was actually quite excellent. I gave three performance reviews, all of which went well, and then spent the rest of the day getting shit done. The getting shit done continues tomorrow, when I have to work out of the city and so have cancelled all of my non-critical meetings. I even managed to get caught up to the point that I felt good about going to Cafe Borrone after work, where I ate an overpriced cheese sandwich and wrote ~1200 words of Madelene and Ferguson's story.

The best news, though, was that I got another request from an agent to see the full manuscript of my first book! She seemed quite eager to see more after she had read the first three chapters, so fingers crossed that she likes the rest of it. Time will tell; several agents have either partial or full manuscripts on their desks right now, so I'm either in for some good news or a lot of heartbreak.

Okay, time to admire my fuchsia heels one last time before bed. Goodnight!

No comments: