Sunday, November 08, 2009

baby just say yes

I unintentionally gave myself the day off; I'll have hell to pay tomorrow, but it felt very good in the moment. I slept until 8:30, puttered around the apartment until 10, and then got a facial. The aesthetician convinced me to let her wax my eyebrows as well because she said they had "character", which would have been insulting if I didn't agree with her. She was originally from Lithuania, so we had a conversation about the former Soviet Union while she tortured my face. I left feeling happy and relaxed, and I spent an hour relaxing at home before going down over to Samovar at Yerba Buena Gardens. I sat there for a couple of hours and brainstormed in my journal (so maybe that's not time off, but it wasn't immediate productivity) while enjoying my traditional quiche, scone, and masala chai, followed by some moorish mint tea. The mint tea, while not as delightful as the chai, was still v. good, and I know from bitter previous experience that having two chais in a row would have made me felt like I was having a heart attack.

After Samovar, I walked over the Borders, where I browsed for an hour or so, but ultimately left without buying anything. Instead, I came home and read a book on my Kindle -- "To Seduce a Sinner" by Elizabeth Hoyt. I liked it quite a bit; her writing style is v. engaging, even if I wasn't able to completely stop analyzing and fully immerse myself in it. Adit came home from dinner when I was almost finished with the book, and we ended up watching the last 85% of "The Dark Knight." Theoretically a Batman movie shouldn't move me so much, but I was just as affected by it as I was when I saw it in the theatre. I still think Christian Bale is yummy despite his apparent insanity; I mean, who hasn't lost it and yelled at a cameraman at some point in their careers? And Aaron Eckhardt as Harvey Dent was extremely inspiring and ultimately tragic. Of course, the film belonged to Heath Ledger, and his performance is only more haunting because he died shortly thereafter; his Joker was truly chilling and difficult to watch.

Adit ended up making us a midnight snack from the groceries I bought earlier this week and failed to cook; we had English muffin pizzas, for which I had purchased absurdly good fresh mozzarella, and so the pizzas were to die for. Then we watched Saturday Night Live (which had a hilarious knock-off of "Twilight", which isn't online yet, but you should search for it tomorrow), and now I should go to bed. I need to be productive tomorrow; I'm more than 3000 words behind on NaNoWriMo thanks to my time off, and I need to get back on the wagon. It's just a struggle because I came up with a new idea and am trying to decide whether to keep writing flat out with the goal of entering the Golden Heart again at the end of the month, or whether to take a breath, revise what I have, and move forward at a slower pace. Perhaps the answer will come to me in my dreams; goodnight!

No comments: