Friday, November 20, 2009

your heart felt good, it was dripping pitch and made of wood

Today was mostly excellent; I was productive at work through sheer necessity, which seems to work well for me. I told Terry tonight that I struggle to get stuff done on the days when I don't have anything pressing to do, and I expressed how I need to fix this -- which she promptly pointed out was likely impossible, since my work style ever since she's known me is to work in crazy, overwhelming spurts followed by periods of sloth (or, to be kind, 'recharging'). She is probably right, but I shall continue to dream of the day when I am happily, moderately productive instead of unproductive or uber-productive with no speed in between.

Anyway, I slept until after seven, which was v. necessary, and then I worked from the couch for an hour or two before showering and speeding down to Mountain View for a meeting with the big boss. She gave me the traditional Friday firedrill, which resulted in me needing to cancel a lunch and a meeting so that I could get through the most critical things on my to-do list before five p.m. I succeeded, but just barely, and I will probably have to work for a couple of hours tomorrow so that I can get firmly wrapped up before I go home.

But, I got out of the office a little after five, and promptly drove to San Jose to pick up Terry. She's in town for the weekend to watch 'New Moon' with her various NorCal friends; I still count as one of those friends even though I haven't finished the 'Twilight' series and mock it relentlessly. So I picked her up, and we met up with Natasha and Chris in Sunnyvale for some delicious Indian food. I had my doubts at first, since the restaurant was cold and the service required ordering at the counter (and serving yourself your own drinks on the honor system) -- all of which reminded me of the infamous trip to Lucky Dhaba when I returned from India oh so many moons ago. But, the food was delicious, no one at the dinner tonight hated each other, the restaurant used real plates and cutlery, and no one spilled raita all over everything, so all in all it was much nicer. We had an excellent time discussing possible startups, movies, etc., and I wish that the four of us could get together more often.

Chris and Natasha left to see a movie, and so Terry and I spent an hour catching up at Coupa Cafe in Palo Alto. I then dropped her off at Stanford to pick up her sister's car, and then made the long, depressing trek back to the evil city. And now that I'm here, I should really go to bed; I have a lot of packing and chores to do tomorrow, particularly since I have to meet Terry etc. for dinner at five p.m. and then stand in line for seats to this movie, and so can't plan to do anything after I get home since my flight takes off at seven a.m. on Sunday. Wish me luck -- the heartland beckons!

No comments: