Sunday, November 22, 2009

you don't wanna hurt me, but see how deep the bullet lies

This has to be quick, since I need to get up in about four and a half hours in order to make it to the airport for my flight back to ye olde Iowa. Today was generally excellent; I slept in, spent some quality time drinking tea with Adit in our pajamas, and then took care of stuff around the apartment. I cleaned out the fridge (ick), packed (eighteen hours early - new record!), showered (v. necessary), and then met up with Adit and Vidya at Coffee Bar. Adit had been there for a couple of hours already, and he abruptly left shortly after I got there, and so Vidya and I had a couple of hours of quality time. I had intended to work, but I didn't even pull out my laptop; instead, I finished the delicious sandwich that I had ordered at Coffee Bar, and then we walked over to Atlas Cafe because Vidya was craving the yam sandwich (and saying its name in a superhero-announcement voice, like the voice that announces the 'Priceline Negotiator' - bizarre). So, our time together was quite lovely, particularly since I won't see her for a whole week.

I parted ways with Vidya and drove to San Mateo to meet up with Terry, Natasha, and several other coworkers for wine + "New Moon". I was *thisclose* to bailing on the movie; while I wanted to see Terry and so was excited about the wine bar before the movie, I really hated the book, despise Bella, and generally was not looking forward to the movie. However, I decided to go anyway, particularly since Terry was expecting my bad behavior and seemed willing to allow me to make fun of the movie to my heart's content. And the movie offered me plenty of opportunity; we arrived an hour early, meeting Natasha (who got there twenty minutes before us), and we still had to split into two separate groups and sit in two different rows (albeit one was right in front of the other, so at least we could still talk for the half hour between the door opening and the start of the trailers). The kids were out in full force, and they squealed a *lot* over the shirtless seventeen-year-old Taylor Lautner (the werewolf); worse, some of their moms were squealing too. I, on the other hand, guffawed when he took off his shirt for the first time, and my behavior steadily worsened. I still hate Bella, but at least I was entertained. Luckily, the strangers to my right thought it was just as ridiculous as I did -- if I had been sitting next to a super-serious twelve year old, the girl probably would have killed me when I applauded one character's critique of Bella's appalling stupidity.

Now, though, I desperately need sleep -- morning (or something like it) will come all too soon. By this time tomorrow, I will be in Iowa!

No comments: