Friday, May 18, 2012

give your heart a break

I need to go to bed - I'm so excited to sleep in my own bed, even if it's not really my own bed but rather the closest thing I've got right now. Happily, my dad came home from the hospital today, which is excellent news! I spent last night in the hospital with him, and I must say I'm quite glad to bid adieu to that place. Mercy really is quite good, and I liked almost all of the nurses/techs/doctors, and the facilities were pretty nice, but it's not really someplace I felt any urge to spend more time in.

I slept a few hours last night (fitfully, obvi), and then took some quality time this morning around eight a.m. to eat breakfast in the cafeteria and send some important romance business emails (not that eight a.m. is ever quality time for me, but you take what you can get). I finally left the hospital around 9:30, took a nap and a shower, went to the mall to exchange some sunglasses that I'd bought in Chicago (the new pair is better, but I'm not 100% sure about them either - thank goodness for awesome return policies), and then drove home with a stop in Indianola to stock up on produce and other perishables. It was nearly ninety degrees today, so it's good that I took the cooler with me, and even better that my dad's truck (which I've now utterly claimed - I made my seat preferences his second preset on his automatic seat, and I added presets to his radio system) has leather seats that can be cooled in addition to being heated.

So I came home, unloaded the groceries, and hung out until my parents got back from Des Moines. For supper, we opted for pizza; we still had a gluten-free frozen pizza in the freezer that Uncle Mark had brought us at Christmas, so I ate that and also martyred myself by going into town to pick up the pizza they ordered from Casey's for themselves, which is pretty much the best pizza ever. While in town I washed my dad's truck, and I partially failed that bonus round -- I had to pull in the sideview mirrors to fit through the carwash, and when I crawled over the console to pull in the passenger mirror, I hit the horn with my leg and no doubt looked like an asshole to the person who was already in the carwash. Then, when I drove in, I thought I had cleared both sides with plenty of room -- but the water system is substantially narrower than the overall framework, and I ended up only having an inch and a half of clearance on the driver's side. I thought that was fine at the time, but [censored] pointed out that there are now stripes of dust where the water didn't have a chance to flow -- oops.

Anyway, enough of that. Tomorrow is another day, one in which I may kill at least one relative -- either Gram for repeating herself 25 times on the way up to Drewbaby's graduation party and back, or [censored] for abandoning me to do it all by myself. Goodnight!

No comments: