Monday, May 21, 2012

in the burning heart, just about to burst

I'm a procrastinatory mess; I suppose that's to be expected, since the last two weeks have been pretty stressful, but I need to be working much more than I currently am. Le sigh. I woke up this morning around 9:30, messed around on the internet for awhile, and then made myself breakfast (eggs and oatmeal, like my usual breakfast in California rather than my oddly-timed diet when I'm home). I had a date to go into my old high school and see my former band director and Spanish teacher -- school ended last week, which is the earliest it's gotten out in recent memory since they had absolutely no snow days to make up this year (unheard of). But, the teachers had a half-day inservice today, so my band director had said I should come by after. I'm glad I did; I hadn't seen either of them in ages (which makes sense, since I graduated thirteen years ago), but I always really liked both of them and we had a lot to catch up on. I hung out with them for a couple of hours and now feel properly caught up on gossip -- it was almost enough to make me want to go back to school and then move back and teach English, but that impulse will likely wane when I return to the land of sushi and sangria.

After visiting them, I ran to the grocery store, came home, and thought about working on my pressing to-do list. But then my dad's Aunt Judy showed up; she lives a ways away in Missouri (hiss), but even though she's 71 she's still working doing something involving education/school oversight, and she was at a school relatively near us on the other side of the border, so she stopped by to make sure my father was still alive. She's 'a hoot and a half', as people sometimes say here, and it was really nice to see her (even if she did kind of depress me by going into more detail than I've ever heard about the time my great-grandma had a sudden heart attack and died on Christmas Day, just after getting the turkey out of the oven -- I was a baby and don't remember it, obvi, but that would put a damper on things).

Aunt Judy eventually left, and we eventually had supper, and then I eventually started half-heartedly working on the things I needed to do tonight. I finally wrote a guest blog that I needed to finish, and I scored the final contest entry I needed to judge, so at least those things are done. But I'm 3-4wks behind on email and haven't written anything for Nick and Ellie in almost a month, so I need to get cracking. Goodnight!

No comments: