Thursday, May 31, 2012

i need a heart i'll never lose

Today was my last full day in Iowa for the near to medium future, but unfortunately I'm nowhere near ready to leave. That's my own fault, of course; I haven't started packing, which will be a chore to make sure I retrieve everything scattered around the house after being here for 3+ weeks. I spent the morning sleeping, and when I finally got ready to do something vaguely productive this afternoon (I had planned to sit on the patio and enjoy the last day of sunshine, since it will be raining tomorrow, perhaps, before I have to leave for the airport), [censored] asked me for a favor. Of course, I'm not allowed to discuss the nature of this favor, since all things related to [censored] are [censored], but suffice it to say that I had to wear my sneakers, I discovered what ratchet straps are (or, as I called them, 'winch-y things'), and at the end of it I got a tour of my grandparents' old warehouse, which [censored] now owns.

[Censored] is stuck storing everything large/awkward/unused-but-of-dubious-value/sentimental garbage that the family has acquired over the past fifty or sixty years (or more; he bought it from my grandparents, who bought it from my great-grandfather). I'm one of the least guilty offenders, and yet he pointed out that he has two of my bikes, my scooter, my tricycle, and my Fisher Price kitchen. Oops. He also has signs from when my granddad ran for county supervisor twenty-odd years ago, which are conveniently last-name-only, so if either of us ever run, I suppose we can just dig through the warehouse until we find them. It was an odd trip down memory lane to wander through (as much as it's possible to wander through someplace with no clear paths or aisles) the washed-up detritus of my childhood. Also, in an even odder trip, we happened to listen to "Party Alarm" on the way over, which put me in way too good of a mood.

After we got home, I took a brief break, then went into town to hang out with Gram and say goodbye to her (even if she won't remember it, and even if she did tell me she won't bail me out of jail if I'm in it for prostitution). Then I came home and made supper for the family -- gluten free pizza using a King Arthur pizza crust mix. It actually turned out really well; I should have used more cheese, but other than that, the dough was definitely acceptable (and more like a dough than the v. thin crust gluten free pizza Terry and I usually get from Patxis). Then I got sucked into watching "Criminal Minds" (stupid) before coming downstairs and working nonstop for the past four hours on some stupid romance career tings (mostly formatting related). And now, I really must sleep - I have to get up tomorrow and pack, charge my gadgets, answer email, say goodbye to the 'rents, etc., etc. Goodnight!

No comments: