Friday, May 04, 2012

this isn't mexico, this is crazytown

I am sitting in a gorgeous open air living room in Puerto Vallarta, in what is undoubtedly the nicest place I've ever stayed in my entire life. Today was utterly perfect; I woke up excited (a rare feat for me at six am), got ready, and rendezvoused with my traveling friends to go to the airport. Katrina picked up Lauren (aka Subz, who has requested a new nickname, which is both bold and dangerous, since the best thing we came up with tonight was LL Mill J) and brought her to my place, and then we all picked up Chandlord (who is stuck with that nickname for eternity) and went to the airport. Lauren and Katrina were on a flight that was 30mins before me, Chandlord and Terry, so we dropped them off, then parked the car, went to the airport (with someone on the shuttle who believed his kid's water polo card was proper ID - I wish I knew how that worked out for them), and grabbed food before our flight.

The flight was even lovely, which is rare; Chandlord and I sat together, and I had a Baileys on the rocks and two coffees and wrote five pages of a super secret novella. Subz and Katrina were drinking margaritas when we got out of customs, and they encouraged us to get margaritas for the road. So we did, of course, even though the driver later gave us cold towels and offered beers as greeting. It was probably forty minutes from the airport to the house, which was spent in raucous celebration of the fact that we are in Mexico...

...a level of celebration that was utterly eclipsed when we were greeted by the splendor of the house we are staying in. I can't even describe how awesome it is, other than to say that most of the living room/dining room is open air and overlooking a private pool (which we hung out in this afternoon), and there is a staff that can make the best margaritas I've had in ages (with some salt on the rim that includes cayenne pepper and other spices - a touch I want to replicate at home), and they bring them out to us while we swim. They also made us dinner, which was amazing - tortilla soup, enchiladas, tamales, and a flan that was so good that I ate all of mine even though I dropped half of it on the table). Then we took a constitutional walk around the area and saw the full moon over the ocean, and then came home and talked over wine in the loungey living room. And I'm blissfully happy, and I didn't check my email for twelve hours, and I didn't even bring my laptop - it's like I'm a whole new person.

But now, I believe I shall go to sleep, and dream of the beach, and try not to cuddle Chandlord (we are sharing a room, but the bed is massive, so I think she will be safe from my depradations). Goodnight!

No comments: