Wednesday, October 08, 2014

i've been here before and i deserve a little more

I should have gone to bed three hours ago, but it's my last night in Frankfurt and I had tings to take care of. Germany continues to be the usual bastard it is to me, but I love it in spite of itself. Today was good but also v. long - I woke up earlier than I wanted to and got ready in time to meet Dave for breakfast before heading to the book fair. I had meetings there and did some general walking around until two or three, before adjourning with a couple of coworkers to have a nice, leisurely, late lunch at my hotel. Then I tried to nap for an hour and a half, but it turned out to only last for thirty minutes.

At that point, I should have gotten ready to go to dinner with the team - but as it has probably become clear, my introverted soul is burned out on people. So I did a bit of work, then threw on some non-dressy clothes and walked toward the train station to rendezvous with Dave so that we could sneak away and be introverts together over food and wine at an amazing Italian place (which is the restaurant we could have gone to yesterday if we hadn't ditched the team dinner to hang out with a smaller group of coworkers instead). We had a hilarious conversation about Argentina that I hope to never forget, and it was all generally lovely.

But all things must end, and so I said goodbye, came back to my hotel, and worked/emailed/contemplated London until now. And now I'm going to sleep - I was planning to go to the book fair again in the morning, but given that I have to leave for the airport around 12:30, and given that it's currently 2:15am, it seems likely that I will instead sleep, have breakfast, pack, and not go there instead. We shall see whether my good corporate citizen mind will override my body's desire to get more than five hours of sleep for once. Goodnight!

No comments: