Sunday, December 13, 2015

i'm not one to forget, you know

I compressed as much socializing into today as I usually compress into a week, and I'm probably going to pay the price for it tomorrow, but it was all v. necessary for my soul before returning to the land of my birth for the holidays. Of course, it didn't help that I was feeling vaguely unhealthy after several days of debauchery, but I powered through....

First up was breakfast in the dirty east bay, which required getting up around 7:30, which I just barely managed to do. After I showered, I drove to Berkeley, where I had breakfast with John and Jess at Saul's (which we went to a couple of months ago....even if I didn't like John and Jess, it might be worth going there for breakfast, since the corned beef hash is the most delicious thing ever). I was supposed to see Jess last night at the gay men's choir thing, but since that didn't happen, I was glad that we got some legit time together. They seemed to be doing well, although John is madly prepping for finals (giving them, not taking them), and the preparations for their baby friend are likely to start ticking up now that they're halfway in. But beyond that, they were their usual lovely selves, and well worth the drive.

As it turns out, though, that drive maybe wasn't necessary, since they ended up coming into the city thereafter...but still, Saul's was tasty. When I got home, I rebooked my Iowa flight (I extended my stay, since #smalltownlife seems better than #fecestime for New Year's Eve), and then I took a nap. And then I drove over to Adit and Priyanka's, where I crashed John and Jess's first meeting with Vihaan (aka family time: the next generation). Vihaan continues to spend most of his time drinking and sleeping, which is similar to his father, although Vihaan gets far more sleep, and his nutrients are mostly milk-based rather than alcohol-based.

sssanyway, on a legit note, Vihaan seems to be doing well and has grown quite noticeably since the last time I saw him. And Adit and Priyanka looked remarkably relaxed(ish). And Adit's mom was there, which was lovely since she clearly does not care about embarrassing him. Granted, they are living in a strange and foreign world involving baby wraps and carriers and multiple changing tables and all sorts of other stuff, but I'm glad to see that they're all doing well (even if Adit has given up on style and reverted back to the sweatshirts and loose pants of his youth).

Eventually, we all parted ways, and I came home for a few minutes before making a highly impromptu plan to eat a 4pm lunch/dinner takeout session with Vidya (aka Chandlord). I was also supposed to see her at gay men's choir, but this was preferable since we could actually talk. We bartered food, since she picked up thai at Osha, and I took her 16 eggs, two apples, two pints of cream, and some cheese that was all going to spoil while I was gone. Of course, spending forty minutes together wasn't enough to catch up on everything, but it was better than nothing!

Then I got my nails done (I will call this a necessity, since I had gel polish on that had to be removed before Iowa), and then I came home, pounded some vitamins, and laid on the couch to try to stave off the cold I've felt like I was getting for the last two weeks. I had to rally, though, and go to Claudia's friend's apartment for a party; Rosa (the friend) only lives five blocks from me, and while they're five very very sketchy blocks, it would have been pretty bad for me to skip.

As it turns out, I'm glad I went; the rest of them were all scientists, but they humored my romance novelist background, and they let me get really excited about the idea of 'humanized mice' (which apparently have a scientific purpose, and that purpose is not to be dressed in Dickensian outfits and placed in a fancy little miniature house....seems like a waste to do anything with them other than that, but I digress). Also, Claudia spilled my nefarious plan for twins name Mason and Dixon, so I may not be invited back there, but we'll see. I was there from 8pm to almost midnight, and I enjoyed the company a lot (and I enjoyed the wine as well, although I really should have pushed it aside and spared my liver).

But now I am desperate for sleep, and I need to spend tomorrow being v. diligent so that I can pack, get through some business stuff, run errands, clean, etc., etc. before leaving for Iowa on Monday. Goodnight!

No comments: