Thursday, December 24, 2015

now it's coming back, we can steal it if we bridge this gap

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone! My family traditions have evolved over the years as circumstances have changed, and so today was super quiet compared to years past. Christmas Eve used to always be celebrated with my dad's side of the family (lasagna for supper at Gram's house, along with Christmas Eve church services and opening packages), and we often hung out with my sister and her family in the afternoon. But today was an entirely different beast, and it was just the four of us...which was just fine with me, as it turns out.

I woke up this morning, showered, ate some yogurt, and ran into town to get a couple of things from the grocery store (they actually carry gluten free bread now, and I wanted orange juice for mimosas tomorrow). Then I wrapped the remaining packages that I needed to wrap for tomorrow's festivities. Eventually, everyone was done with everything that needed to be done, so we started a game of Rail Baron. We played for three hours or so, which was long enough to get to the point where all the railroads had been sold and shit was about to get real. Also, I opened a bottle of Decoy cabernet sauvignon, which I proceeded to finish (with an assist from my parents), and it certainly made being the banker (again) go faster than usual.

We stopped playing for supper, though - which was prime rib and baked potatoes, which was exactly as great a feast as it sounds. The prime rib was super tasty, and I regretted having finished my wine before the meat showed up, since they would have been great together. But [censored] was muttering about doing an intervention, so I didn't open another bottle, and am instead modeling what a paragon of virtue I can be.

After supper, we cleaned up and ended up putting the game away to finish another day, since our energy was flagging and we were probably two hours from finishing. Then I took a bit of an unintentional nap in the living room, and then I read a few chapters of THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE MONGOL QUEENS, which is totally fascinating - turns out Genghis Khan mostly left his empire in the control of his wives/daughters while on campaign, and his asshole sons/grandsons then assassinated them/marginalized them/wrote them out of the records over the subsequent generations. So maybe I'll keep reading it over the next couple of days, even though it has nothing to do with anything I should be reading or researching.

And now, I must sleep. I hope all of you are having lovely holidays - goodnight!

No comments: