Thursday, December 17, 2015

say you'll see me again even if it's just pretend

I left the house today (shocking), but it was mildly depressing (not shocking). But first, my day. Sometime in the middle of the night I realized that my neck was hurting not because I was getting the flu (although my stomach is still wonky, but it's often wonky), but because I was sleeping on the wrong pillow. Yes, I'm that dumb. But after I solved that problem, I slept for like ten hours, which was great.

Then I spent the midday (I can't really call it morning) hanging out with my father, who told me a lot of stories about a lot of dead men who used to raise cattle. Then I took a shower, and then [censored] showed up, so I will blame [censored] for the fact that I didn't get any writing done this afternoon (since it's a time-honored tradition to blame [censored] for everything). Also, I blame the fact that there was some mild drama with hunters on our property (and by drama I mean there were gunshots and we didn't know who the dudes were, but we had a decent enough guess, so whatever).

But eventually we all left the house and went into town to have an early (5pm! early even for me!) supper with Gram at her assisted living facility. They did a Christmas soup supper for the residents and whichever guests they wanted to invite, and while Gram didn't remember that [censored] and I would be attending, the staff knew we were coming, so it all worked out. The chili was actually pretty good, and Gram seemed to be doing okay despite her ongoing mental decline, so it wasn't the worst way to spend an hour.

Then we came home by 6:30, killed thirty minutes in the kitchen while my dad looked up videos of one of the musicians who played at my parents' wedding reception, and then watched 'The Big Bang Theory' as a family in the living room. We also watched 'Life in Pieces', which is really pretty good (four short vignettes per thirty minute episode, all of which are funny/touching and cohesive stories in their own right, which is a really interesting format for network comedy). Then, [censored] [censored], and I stayed upstairs and watched the rest of the evening's fine CBS programming (although I hate 'Two Broke Girls' and mostly played Sudoku on my phone during that one....but 'Elementary' is pretty good).

And now, I should sleep and hope that the antacid I took calms my stomach -- otherwise, I might have to resort to some deep breathing or some shit, and I think meditation is frowned on in this neck of the woods, so I'm hoping the drugs do the trick. Goodnight!

No comments: