Monday, December 14, 2015

i ain't missing you (i can lie to myself)

I have returned to the land of my youth, and in 1.5 hours of watching television, I have already seen:

- a Ben Carson commercial (twice)
- a Marco Rubio commercial
- a Jeb Bush commercial
- a Bernie Sanders commercial

I also saw the news report about Branstad becoming the longest-serving governor in US history, beating out George Clinton, who was governor of New York during and after the Revolution. Branstad was governor for most of my childhood (youngest elected governor in US history as well), took some time off, and then ran for governor again. Ssssanyway, if those hours tell me anything about what I'm in for the next three weeks, I think I'm glad I brought my earplugs, and I may regret not bringing my eyemask.

Jhokes. I like politics, although I'm not really feeling this election cycle due to the high percentage of crazies in the race. I'm much more excited about 2020, when I shall support Kanye/Taylor Swift, as all good Americans will.

Moving on....today was as long and boring as it usually is when I fly to Des Moines, and entirely uneventful. I got up at 5:45, was out the door at 6:30, at the airport by 7, and able to grab a quick breakfast and a coffee before boarding my flight. I slept through a lot of that one, and then I sat in Denver for two hours - I abandoned Cantina Grill (my usual stop) because I had Mexican breakfast at Andale in SFO, and so I had a salad and two glasses of wine at Lounge 5280 instead. And by 'salad' I mean I had a huge pile of burrata mozzarella and some sundried tomatoes, which was perfect.

Then I took the flight to Des Moines, sitting next to a v. friendly man who wanted to hear about my careers, which was nice except for the fact that I was trying to work on said career. How he still wanted to talk to the person next to him when he had just flown back from Taiwan is a total mystery to me; by that stage of an intercontinental journey, I get super stabby (okay, you're right, I'm always stabby, unless trying to befriend the bartender). But I got a little work done, and he really was nice, so it wasn't all as bad as I made it sound.

And then I got to DSM, and my parents picked me up, and we renewed our acquaintance (okay, maybe we have more than an acquaintance) at Johnny's. Their favorite waiter was working (#protip: almost as good as befriending the bartender, although no free drinks yet), and we had shrimp cocktail and salad and steaks and it was all delightful. Also, Johnny's wine list is quite good, so I had a glass of Paraduxx and no doubt added evidence to the intervention my family will stage later this Christmas about my wine habits (although I hope they wait until after I drink the bottle I brought back with me).

Then we successfully made the seventy mile journey home, and then I watched some fine CBS programming (NCIS: Los Angeles, which I really like, as well as the local news and a bit of Colbert). And now I am going to do a bit more work and then go to bed - goodnight!

No comments: