Saturday, December 05, 2015

these streets will make you feel brand new

I had another great day in New York, and I'm sad that I'm leaving in ten hours (which means I really need to go to bed). But, as I've said before, I'm excited to sleep in my own bed, so I'll take it. Still, today was great. Neither Terry nor I slept all that well last night (although I slept way more than she did), so we were slow getting up and about and out the door. But we walked up the street and had brunch at Sarabeth's - the food was delicious, and we took the opportunity to catch up on a variety of topics, so that was great.

Then, we wandered through Central Park, checked out some holiday market stalls, and then walked down Fifth Avenue while looking at the extravagant storefronts. We saw the tree at Rockefeller Center (lovely), then saw some more market stalls at Bryant Park, but by that point it was three p.m. and I wasn't feeling the crowds. So we took the subway back up to the Upper West Side and had a drink at a snack at the french place down the street from Terry's place (delightful) before coming back to Terry's place and resting for just a bit.

But we couldn't laze about - we had super fun plans tonight, since I had made a reservation at Mermaid Inn for us + my friend Maya (who also writes romance novels). The three of us had an awesome time massacring oysters and downing prosecco, and we talked about a variety of highly inappropriate topics there for a couple of hours. Then, we walked over to another bar (Amor y Amaro, which is next to Death and Company, where I've spent some delightful time with Riturani) and had another drink and more highly inappropriate conversation. It turns out that Maya and I have the same ultrasnarky sense of humor and should probably not be writing historical romance, but c'est la vie. And Maya and Terry have the same addiction to Soulcycle, so I expect that by the next time I come to NYC, they will have made fast friends with each other in their Soulcycle cult and will no longer talk to me. Again, c'est la vie.

But by ten p.m. we were all old and tired, so we came home, and I am now mostly packed to leave tomorrow. I need to get up around six, which means I need to go to bed immediately (and dream of my next trip out here) - goodnight!

No comments: