Tuesday, December 22, 2015

with the spirit of a hustler and the swagger of a college kid

Today was pretty lovely. Or, at least, it was pretty productive, and I didn't freeze to death despite leaving the house and venturing out into the foggy Iowa winter, so I'll take it as a win. I woke up this morning not feeling particularly in it to win it, since I'd woken up at 4am and vomited whatever was in my stomach...not sure what was up with that, and I still feel vaguely nauseated, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to give anyone the gift of a Christmas miracle baby, so hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.

sssanyway. I got myself all cleaned up, and then [censored] and I went to Des Moines to finish Christmas shopping. Our errands were accomplished pretty efficiently - we made a highly successful stop at Target, and then had lunch at some Mexican place nearby that was quite tasty (although my nausea came back, so I didn't attack the meal with my usual gusto). Then we made a couple more stops, including at a wine store on Ingersoll that is really good - I hadn't been there before, but they had Gloria Ferrer champagne, and I bought some Decoy and Seghesio reds, all of which tend to make me happy. Granted, I don't think my dad and I will get through it all while I'm home, but there are still two weekends between now and when I go back to California, and several celebrations in those days, so I'm going to make a valiant attempt.

After [censored] and I finished up in Des Moines (with a stop at Sam's Club, which is somehow preferable to Walmart), we drove back to southern Iowa while listening to [censored] - I'm not sure whether it was better than the [censored] we listened to earlier, since the music on the way to Des Moines made me suicidal because of the story and the music on the way back made me suicidal because of the genre, but it was all good.

I then spent the evening half-avoiding the family - not really, but Iowa State was playing basketball and it wasn't looking good toward the end, so I left the living room because I figured my mother would murder me if they lost two games in a row while I was watching. ISU pulled out the win, so it worked. And while I was sitting in the kitchen alone, I drank some tea and did a couple of hours of work, so that was an excellent choice.

Now, though, I need to sleep - wrapping of gifts probably needs to happen tomorrow, as does writing of stories (hahahaha) and curing of nausea. Goodnight!

No comments: