Saturday, February 04, 2017

romeo save me

I woke up this morning far less hungover than I deserved to be, but I definitely didn't get enough sleep last night, which made today somewhat brutal. However, I got up and showered in time to say goodbye to Clayton, who left this morning. Then I walked to Yellow Flower, where I ate a delicious omelette and messed around in my journal.

It was a gorgeous day today - it was the first sunny day without afternoon rain in at least a week, and I wanted to take advantage of it. I declined the opportunity to get in a car and go to some touristy 'traditional village' (although it sounds like it was cool), and instead said goodbye to zee Germans (who also left today, after having birthday cake for one of them) and then laid out by the pool for an hour. By the time I got out to the pool, I only got twenty minutes or so of direct sun before it slipped behind the building, but that was perfect - and I was able to lay with my feet in the water, which helped to cool off from the oppressive heat and humidity.

But I couldn't laze around all afternoon - I needed to get some writing done, so I spent the rest of the afternoon writing, eating nasi goreng, doing laundry, and having a great chat with Tamara about writing. I had intended to be a hermit and order food in and keep working tonight, since I'm reaching the (temporary) end of my tolerance for large group activities, but Sanj messaged me about dinner with her, her boyfriend Alex, Sarah, Tamara, and Saurabh. That was at the upper end of my tolerance for group size, but I like all of them and it's Saurabh's last night here (it feels like half the group is turning over this weekend), so I agreed.

Unfortunately, though, the six of us suddenly turned into twelve - two other people joined us, and when we got to Pacha Mama, we found four more people from the hotel who had just arrived there and decided to merge with our table.  Of those six additions, I can't stand one of them and find two of them super weird and possibly crazy, so that put a sudden damper on my mood. Also, it was live music night, which added a layer of noise on top of my grated nerves (although I really enjoyed watching this one man-bun-wearing yoga-type dude request 'Wonderwall' from the band and have his own little groovefest in his head while listening to them). But I maneuvered myself to sit with most of the group I came with (throwing Tamara to the wolves, alas), so I mostly managed to enjoy the conversation. And I refrained from drinking anything despite my annoyance, so I'm hoping I can get a good night's sleep and hit the work hard tomorrow.

Anyway, that's all a very long way of saying that I need some me-time. I genuinely like so many of the people here, and my #fomo means I don't want to say no to dinners - but I also don't like large group activities. And because we've all discovered the same 'best things' nearby, it means that when I do go out by myself, I tend to run into people - I saw Sarah and another couple at Yellow Flower this morning (and said I didn't want to join them when they invited me), and I saw Clayton both times I went to Lazy Cats this week, and that makes it hard to get away.

But this is a real #firstworldproblem - on the whole, I'm really glad that this has lived up to my hopes so far in terms of meeting people and making friends and learning new things. But I think I need a day off from friendship...and I intend to get it tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: