Tuesday, February 28, 2017

coplights, flashlights, spotlights, strobelights, streetlights

jetlag is hitting hard, and so I'm sleeping at weird times - I took a way too long nap at 5pm, which I thought was going to wreck any chance of going to sleep tonight, but now I'm tired again and am going to crash anyway. I wasn't totally on point with my goal to avoid all time online (in fact, I sucked at it), but I was much better about getting a lot of writing done, so I'm happy with that. I also participated in community breakfast - it's Shrove Tuesday (Mardi Gras if you want to laissez les bons temps rouler), and apparently the British observe Shrove Tuesday by eating pancakes. So the community manager (Michelle) made pancakes, but I ate gluten free toast with peanut butter, banana, and nutella, which was pretty delish even if it wasn't pancakes.

So, I met some people, with mixed results - I think I like a few of them, but I was feeling weirdly cranky about having to make new friends again. I'm sure this will wear off in a few days and Future Sara will laugh about how I thought I wouldn't make friends here...but right now, I'm not in the mood to deal with people. Interestingly, the London crowd seems much more focused on work than the Bali crowd, which probably makes sense since a) the weather sucks and b) most of the people here came to London for a specific work reason rather than because they're wandering the globe, and so have things to do.

When breakfast was done, I wrote in the main space all morning, then took a break to eat a sandwich. Later, I went to a tea shop to buy some better tea - and I discovered that the nearest high street (King's Street, leading off Sloane Square) is v. v. v. dangerous for me. I have basically moved to an even more posh version of the Marina, and so there's a Lululemon and an Anthropologie and a whole bunch of other desirable stores on that street - all of which are expensive by normal human standards, but cheap compared to the Chanel that I walk by on the way to the tube station.

But I escaped mostly unscathed, after buying tea and grabbing some eggs and milk. And then I spent the rest of the afternoon/evening writing/napping, with no particular rhyme or reason. And now I'm going to sleep, and hope that tomorrow requires less napping and more writing - goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray--can we go shopping when I'm there?? But not at the American stores obv :) (<3, jenlui)