Friday, February 24, 2017

we're just under the upper hand

I snuck out of Roam this morning at four a.m., leaving like a thief in the dark - but only if thieves in the dark are mildly hungover and lugging seventy pounds of luggage. I was surprisingly sad to say goodbye to Bali - it was a good place for me, full of interesting people and great food and all the things I need to get some serious writing done, and I'm going to miss it.

But all things end, and so I went to the airport, checked my bags (including paying an excess baggage fee, which was kind of a production but not interesting enough to document here), ate some yogurt, and boarded my flight. The flight was smooth and uneventful, and I slept for most of it, but it wasn't enough to overcome last night's lack of sleep. But I survived, landed in Singapore, made it through immigration, found my bags, and took a taxi to my hotel.

Then I had lunch with Michelle - she and I worked together in Dublin waaaaaay back in 2006, and she's also friends with Irish Matt (remember him?), and she now lives full-time in Singapore. So we met up with lunch, and she took me out to Din Tai Fung - the soup dumplings that should inherit the earth, since they're so fucking good. I should have ordered a million, but I refrained.

We also had coffee after, and it was great to see her and to catch up properly (rather than just follow each other on Instagram). Then, she went home - we were supposed to have dinner tonight instead of lunch, but her parents decided to come visit this weekend, so our plans were thrown into flux. It was probably just as well - I came back to the hotel and napped for an hour because I'm *exhausted*.

But I decided to get out and explore the city tonight - not that I need to do much exploring, since I've been here before (for a few hours with Irish Matt in 2005, and several days with my dad in 2010). But I walked down to the river and had a long, leisurely dinner at an italian restaurant (not the most obvious choice in Singapore, but I was craving something other than nasi goreng). I had two glass of wine and some risotto, and I read most of a book that I have to judge for the RITAs, and the bartender comped me a glass of grappa at the end, so I'm relieved to see that my ability to befriend bartenders still works (in Bali the liquor is too expensive to ever comp it).

Then I wandered around the city for over an hour - it's gorgeous at night, and the temperatures were perfect, so I walked down the river and dreamed of other worlds. And now I need to sleep so I can write those other words - goodnight!

No comments: