Wednesday, December 30, 2015

i mean, you're so shy and i'm loving your tie

I left the house today (shocker!), but since all I did was walk out to the mailbox and back, perhaps this should not be treated as a significant accomplishment. However, it was cold and there are 6+ inches of snow on the ground, so I'm going to act like this was a supremely risky and important endeavor.

The rest of my day was almost equally uneventful. I spent the morning and the evening reading (and finishing) BIG MAGIC, which I totally adored; it was occasionally just the slightest bit too much self-help preachy, but I was in the mood for that kind of pep talk, and her take on creativity and inspiration was pretty creative and inspiring, for lack of better words. I would wax on more about this, but I'm still thinking through my aspirations and desires for the new year, and it all feels too fragile to talk about right now. So, #sorrynotsorry.

Beyond the reading, I also spent an hour or so talking to a couple of romance writer friends, which was good for me. And I had supper with the family; my dad grilled steak and tiger prawns the size of your fist, and my mom made cheesy potatoes and green beans, and I opened a bottle of malbec with the excuse that I wanted to try out my vacuvin (true, but also I feel that steak merits a glass of wine). After supper, my mother listened to the Iowa State game on the radio (some of them aren't on tv, and she's hardcore), and when my dad got home from running an errand, he and I talked (about trains and the 1950s and Brazil and many other topics) and watched some fine television (starting with CBS, but we switched to PBS when 'Criminal Minds' came on, since that show is horrid and nightmare-inducing).

And then I finished reading my book, and now you're all caught up. I hope your breaks continue to amaze and restore and delight - goodnight!

No comments: