Friday, September 09, 2016

my name is no, my sign is no, my number is no

Today was almost fully productive, which made me happy. I still got up later than planned (I am such a sloth in the mornings when I don't have to be anywhere), but I was at my desk by nine, and I wrote steadily until almost noon. I also came up with an excellent idea to tie some stuff together that was bothering me about the plot, so I felt pretty smug about that.

Then I left the house and sped down to San Mateo, where I went to the gym and worked out for the first time in months. It was embarrassing how long it's been - long enough that my kettlebell calluses are mostly gone and I'm going to have to earn them back. Also, doing swings kind of made me want to throw up. But I did a version of a workout I would have done three months ago (although I dropped the weight on the swings/snatches so that I wouldn't accidentally hurt myself), and it felt really good to go back. I'm going to try to be more disciplined about going to the gym whenever I meet up for writing dates with Anne and Barbara - adding a 45min workout in my day really isn't stopping me from writing enough, and it's good for me (and it's way better than wasting those 45mins on twitter).

However, I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow and will regret whatever blithe assertions I've made about how often I'm going to work out going forward. But that's a problem for tomorrow. The rest of my day was lovely - I showered at the gym and ate one of their paleo to-go lunches (one thing that would be hard if I left the bay area is that I've gotten used to all my gluten-free/paleo-ish whims being catered to, which isn't true everywhere). Then I met up with Anne and Barbara. We spent three hours at Starbucks, and while we talked the first hour, I definitely got more stuff done during the next two hours - I wrote a few pages in which my hero's family sprung up from nowhere, so that was kind of fun (the writing process is weird and inexplicable).

But by 5pm I was done. The drive home took an hour, which was very displeasing. But when I got here, I messed around for a little bit, and then I ate an apple because I was starving, and then I made dinner - roasted chicken thighs and sweet potatoes and shallots. This may sound kind of boring, but a) it was all roasted in the same dish, which made it super easy, and b) it was covered in garlic and a vinaigrette of olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon, italian seasoning, so it was actually really delicious. I found the recipe here; I skipped the tarragon, but otherwise thought it turned out really well. And that vinaigrette would probably be good on roasted fish too (although the potatoes would have to be cooked separate in that case) - I'll have to try it sometime.

While the chicken was cooking, I spent some quality time cleaning out my bathroom - I have way more cosmetics/beauty products than anyone needs, and things were getting messy enough that it was starting to stress me out (because that's the kind of person I am - the kind who gets stressed by messes hiding in closed drawers). Order has now been restored, which means I can move on with my life (or, more likely, start stressing about my closet instead).

After I'd finished with the bathroom and eaten my chicken, I watched an episode of 'Project Runway' and sent/answered emails until I was tired of that activity. And now I need to sleep - I have grand plans to get a lot done tomorrow, especially since my weekend is shaping up to be v. social. Goodnight!

No comments: