Sunday, September 18, 2016

what the hell is on joey's head?

I'm taking the highly unusual step of going to bed before ten p.m. - last night was super fun, but I got five hours of sleep (on Joann's couch, while my liver was still working through the champagne bubbles (and by bubbles I mean toxins)), and so my body was not in it to win it today. I woke up at 7:30, and I threw on some clothes and packed my stuff and was out of Joann's by eight (I left when Jen did, or else I might have lazed about there for awhile). I drove home without incident, and when I got here I was tempted to sleep all morning...but instead I exchanged texts with Katrina and made a meet-up plan, which rescued me from my sloth.

So, I showered and ate and went to Cafe du Soleil, where we spent several glorious hours being denizens of the cafe scene. Cafe du Soleil is a couple of blocks from where Adit and I used to live many years ago, and is also a couple of blocks from where John and Jess used to live, so it has been part of my life off and on for the last decade - and it should probably be a bigger part of my life, since it's a delightful place to work. Katrina and I mostly caught up for the first hour or two - I'd seen her at my birthday party, obviously, and also at my Olympics party, but it had been months, I believe, since we'd had a proper one-on-one discussion.

Eventually, we shifted into work mode, and we each got some stuff done - I was too fatigued to write, but I did some admin work that I desperately need to finish, so that was great. Also, I saw Josh, who used to be the head of RA training at Stanford for many years - he had been sitting outside, and I had wondered if that was him I had spied through the window (but hadn't done anything about it), and then he came in and said hi. He seems to be doing well and is now a CPA (which I knew from Facebook), which is so far from the days of yesteryear that it seems hard to believe....

But I'm too tired to succumb to nostalgia, so I'll move on. Katrina and I worked/talk/ate until 2:45 or so (note to self: the nicoise salad she got looked so delicious), and then I came home and had a hangout with Terry (remember her?). Then, I called my parents - they were about to eat dinner, so I talked to them for awhile, then let them take a break, during which time I tried to take a nap. Then, as I was finishing the second part of my call with them, I fielded some texts with Adit - he had blown me off for dinner tonight, which we'd arranged last week when he had missed my birthday, and so I was happily planning to eat leftover steak and do work all night. But he was suddenly free and seeking sunshine funtime.

So, I suggested Sessions at the Presidio, mostly because they have a big patio and ample parking. There was no direct sun because it was 6:30pm by the time we got there and the building shaded the patio, but it was still nice outside all evening - and the food was quite delicious. It's not great for the gluten frees because many of the things have beer or malt in them (they have an extensive beer list to drink), but it was surprisingly good for the vegetarians - everything they got looked incredible. Vidya ended up coming as well - we also nearly ended up with Jesse and Maya (Vidya was supposed to hang out with them and was trying to manage the schedule), but they managed to pull a double snafu in which I got annoyed that they were coming and then got equally annoyed that they weren't coming, so that was special!

The three of us had our usual ridiculous conversation, and we drank the cheapest but finest wine, and it was mostly delightful. Then they dropped me off at home (we reflected on Nickelback on the way), and I nearly fell asleep on the couch, and now I'm going to go to bed and sleep nine hours and hopefully get up in time to work for ten hours tomorrow - I need it. Goodnight!

No comments: