Sunday, September 04, 2016

icarus is flying too close to the sun

Today was another day in the land of toddlers...and we had a lovely time, although it was more lowkey than yesterday because a) we were recovering from yesterday, and b) we have to get up at five a.m. tomorrow for an excursion to Pikes Peak. So this is going to be v. short, because I need to go to bed immediately if I'm going to be chipper (or at least feign a smile) tomorrow morning.

But despite the slight headache brought on by last night's gin (compounded by restless sleep that was interrupted by some raccoons having a party outside my window), I enjoyed myself today. We cooked breakfast here, and Katie conned me into making sweet potato and zucchini latkes (the downside of blogging about my boring minutiae is that people know what I cook and that I could theoretically feed them if asked), which went delightfully well with the sausages that James grilled up for us. Then we were going to go to a park, but we missed our window and had to deal with Julia taking a nap.

However, the look on my face must have demanded coffee at some point, because Katie loaded me and Anne up, and we ran over to a coffee shop to grab coffee, which I took to the park. I then sat on a bench and watched Anne play (and watched Katie chase Anne around), because I was being lazy and enjoying my coffee rather than getting involved in the playground shenanigans. James brought Julia after she woke up, and so we hung out for awhile, and then James took the girls for ice cream while Katie and I came home and ate salami and watched "House Hunters International" and marveled at how dumb humans can be.

Then the evening progressed quickly - I called my parents, as per usual, and enjoyed a convo with them while sitting in the fading sun of the front porch. I ate dinner when everyone else was basically done with theirs, and then we cleaned up and got ready tomorrow's excursion, and I told Katie as many depressing stories as possible. And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: