Tuesday, September 13, 2016

sun goes down

According to some measurements provided by Blogger, this is my 4000th post. *throws confetti* That's...almost dumb. However, thank you for joining me whenever you feel like escaping the minutiae of your day by reading the minutiae of mine! It's been a good twelve years, and while I can't guess whether Blogger will still be around for the next twelve, I hope you'll stick around for as long as it does.

Of course, today didn't give me a lot of exciting things to share on my 4000th post, but that's how things go. I woke up this morning and dealt with the residual mess in my kitchen - I emptied the dishwasher from last night and added the last things that could go in there, and I put some stuff away, and all in all the cleanup was pretty easy. Last night was fun, of course, although I was too tired to do it justice in the post - I had a lowkey group of people over (John, Jess, Ian, Vidya, Katrina, Lauren, and Priyanka, in order of arrival), and we all managed to fit around my table (mostly because Priyanka was quite late after getting off work at the hospital, and John and Jess were taking turns hiding in my closet and trying to soothe Ian, who apparently wasn't that excited about a Wampface-style birthday party). But we drank some Dom Perignon, and we ate some tasty food, and Lauren asked the usual questions about reflecting on my past year and saying what I want for this year, and it was all generally wonderful.

Today, though, it was time to get back to work. After I cleaned up, I went to Samovar to have brunch with a writer friend - his name is Curtis, and he used to work at the same place I worked years ago, and now he and his wife live in Portland and he writes scifi. He was in town for an event (which I missed Saturday because of my delayed dinner + my inability to rally), but we grabbed lunch and talked writing shop, which was delightful. It also made me consider, again, how much sense it would make to move someplace with better rents and vibrant artistic communities....

Then I stopped at Target to buy bleach, and then I came home and took a nap. My nap was hardcore, and I startled myself awake an hour later - apparently this is what it's like to be old. Then I needed to do some work, but I was having trouble motivating, and so I talked to [censored] for quite awhile - he'd texted me for my birthday, of course, but we hadn't talked in awhile, so we had a long, meandering catch-up.

After that, though, work was really calling, so I spent the last eight hours curled up on the couch (with a glass of wine (two glasses) and a break for pot de creme) and did a whole bunch of monkey work. This included some web stuff, reformatting a couple of epubs, messing around with a cover, etc., etc. In fact, I went back to working on stuff after I made that list...but as I was starting to feel sleepy while playing around with photoshop, I felt an earthquake jolt that woke me right up (and reminded me that restocking my food and first aid supplies is on my to-do list).

But despite that jolt, I think it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: