Thursday, September 22, 2016

and catch you when the current lets you go

I'm falling asleep at the keys, which never bodes well for the blogging - but today was a long, fairly productive day, with some fun and some tragedy mixed in for good measure. I woke up earlyish and intended to go to Philz, but instead I got sidetracked and decided to work from home with eggs and coffee (not a bad decision, all in all). I spent the morning alternating between writing and daydreaming about trips for next year (note to self: daydreaming about trips is not the same as writing).

As I was packing up my bags to head out for the afternoon, I got a call from my mother - and I have to say that when I saw her name pop up on my screen, I assumed someone was dead (because a) my mother never uses her cellphone and rarely has it on, and b) because if my parents call sometime other than Sunday, it's usually because something terrible or wonderful has happened, but it's rarely just to say hi). Sadly, my assumption was accurate - her best friend from when I was a child passed away last night. I hadn't seen the woman or her family much in the last couple of decades because the woman had moved away while I was still in school, but I have fond memories of her (and of the Fisher Price castle they had in their house, and of all the gloriously smutty romances she stocked when she was the town librarian, most of which died in the purge after she left and the Baptist minister's wife took over).

So that was sad, even though it was somewhat expected in the next few months given her cancer situation and prognosis. But it's probably not as sad as the fact that one of my former residents from Loro has a brain tumor with a very iffy prognosis. But this is probably not a good time to get into a comparison of who has had it worse...so we'll move on.

When I got to San Bruno, I ate the Speciality's salad that I picked up on the way, and I talked to Barbara and Veronica for almost an hour. This was an hour too long for my general productivity, but it was probably better for my writing - the writing went better than usual, so I'll take it. When we parted ways, I drove to San Carlos, holed up in a Peets for another hour, and tried to get some stuff done.

But eventually it was time for the social event of the evening (possibly century) - I had a drink with Shedletsky at Cask, followed by dinner (steak three ways!) with he and his wife, and it was all lovely. But I'm legit falling sleep while I'm trying to type this and have to keep deleting the nonsensical one, and I would rather go to bed than do that. Goodnight - maybe you'll learn more about the Shedletskys in the morning!

No comments: