Tuesday, September 27, 2016

i wanna dance by water beneath the mexican sky

I am in ye olde Iowa, after an entirely uneventful trip that yielded some decent writing despite my desire to sleep the whole way. I woke up this morning and was not feeling the whole getting-up thing, and so I was later than usual getting to the airport - I left fifteen minutes later than planned, and traffic was worse than usual, so while I wasn't in any risk of missing my flight, I only had time to grab a coffee and a snack to take on board rather than having the leisurely full breakfast that I prefer to have before flying.

But I was upgraded on my SFO->DEN leg, and I took full advantage of the extra space by working for most of the flight. When I got to Denver, I grabbed a v. subpar lunch at the worst of the Mexican restaurants in the B Concourse (I didn't go to the beloved Cantina Grill or the even more beloved 5280 Lounge wine bar because they're both upstairs in the center of the concourse, and my arrival/departure gates weren't right there), and grabbed another coffee before boarding for DSM.

Sadly, I was not upgraded to DSM, and in fact felt extremely downgraded - the guy sitting next to me had rather extreme body odor, and there were flies in the plane (possibly attracted to the smell of death emanating from the guy next to me), and it was a small enough plane that all roll-aboards had to be gate checked, and I needed to pee for most of the flight (see: lots of coffee + all the water and juice I drank on the first flight) and couldn't because the drink cart was blocking the aisle to the only bathroom on the plane. However, I still managed to do another thirty minutes of work, so I'll totally take it.

When I got to Des Moines, my parents were waiting at the airport, and we went straight to Johnny's (our favorite pre- and post-airport restaurant), where we were served by my parents' favorite waiter, and a steak and a baked potato went a long way toward overcoming the horror of Stinky Man. We eventually drove home, and when we got here I contemplated working all evening - but instead I sat in the kitchen and talked to my dad for four hours, covering a variety of topics (earthquakes, supervolcanoes, politics, water wells, decapitations, suicides, environmental illnesses, iced coffee, and the history of our school district, to name a few).

But by 11:30 it was time to sleep even though I could have kept talking, so I came downstairs, unpacked my suitcase, washed my face, and am now ready to sleep. I want to write a lot tomorrow, but we'll see what happens when that desire meets my desire to sit on the back porch (luckily, both those things can happen simultaneously!). Goodnight!

No comments: