Friday, July 24, 2009

don't look back in anger

Once upon a time, I went on a leave of absence because I got so burned out from my job and realized that I would never write books if I didn't get control over my life and my workaholic tendencies. After much soul searching, much relaxation, and many Midwestern steak dinners, I returned to work almost exactly a year ago, vowing that I would be a calmer, more balanced person.

Tonight I stayed in the office until 10:30pm, so you can see how I'm feeling about my ability to meet this goal right now. Granted, I wasn't at the office straight from 9am to 10:30pm - for one, traffic sucked, and so it took an hour and twenty minutes to get to work and thus I was late for my first meeting. I also had a nice lunch with Adit (some people call him "the cat"), and we discussed all the excitement of our upcoming permanent family time. And, I had an appointment to get my hair cut, so I left around five to scurry over to Palo Alto to get it taken care of.

The problem, friends, was that I hadn't given any thought at all to what I wanted the woman to do with my hair. As it turns out, she did a great job (as I knew she would) -- but since I was annoyed, frustrated, hating the world, and feeling desperately in need of a change, I told her to cut it off. I ended up only cutting it back to shoulder length -- but this is still a far cry from when it was down nearly to my waist, and I hope that I won't regret it when my anger subsides.

Anyway, things are really really ridiculous hectic and annoying at work; I had to kick out my poor intern this afternoon because the head of my department called me from Argentina to give me more assignments for the conference I'm planning. Luckily I got a lot squared away tonight -- in fact, I would be feeling pretty good if I could just get over the teensy little problem that I AM MOVING IN FIVE DAYS AND HAVEN'T STARTED PACKING!!! Apologies for the e-yelling; I never do it, but this merits it.

That's all you get from me tonight -- I'm finally starting to crash, and I need to get up in six hours to make it back to the south bay. Goodnight!

2 comments:

~Wamp said...

I hope you plan to spend some time at the office this weekend. I just need for you to have a few more shitty days for me to seal some deals, then you can have your amazing luck and happiness back and I'll go back to being screwed over. Just, give me a couple days, please!

Anonymous said...

Swampface, I thought I'd get mentioned in this post!!!!!!!!!