Sunday, July 26, 2009

getting ready for the showdown

I should probably either keep packing or do some work for the day job, but I'm going to go to bed instead. I made a lot of progress today and can sense the finish line of my move drawing near, but I'm going to have a lot to do tomorrow night if I want to be ready for the movers to show up on Tuesday morning. I think I just ran out of desire to pack anything else because the more I pack, the less available floor space I have in the apartment, and so losing the rest of it on my last night in the place won't be quite so bad as losing it now.

However, the unpleasant tasks (like cleaning my patio furniture and wrapping my big South African painting in bubblewrap) are taken care of. I'm also done with my kitchen, except for the foodstuffs -- really, all that's left are my clothes, shoes, makeup, the books I'm taking to Adit's, and my electronics. The problem is that what's left perfectly matches my obsessions, which explains why I'm still not done.

Anyway, this post is super boring because seriously all I did today was pack -- I took a brief break to get an iced latte, I talked to my parents, and I took another break later to get a chicken schwarma sandwich, but packing was really the only thing on my agenda. While I'm annoyed at myself that I have to pack so much crap, and while I will really miss the windows and the fabulous view, I'm glad that I'm switching neighborhoods -- some crazy dude scared the hell out of me when I went to get my sandwich, because I was waiting for the light to turn so that I could cross the street and he started yelling and slapping himself really hard behind me. While my new neighborhood will undoubtedly have crazies too (this is San Francisco, after all), I'm hopeful that they will be a different type of crazy.

That's all you get tonight -- I need to get up super early tomorrow so that I can make it to work and get prepped for the day, accomplish stuff, and then leave early in order to finish preparing for my move. I was thinking today that I should have just paid for my mom's airline ticket so that she could fly out here and pack for me, but I suppose that if I've moved this many times by myself (I think this is like my 21st move in the past 10 years, counting in and out of dorms, my moves overseas, etc.), I can handle another one. Goodnight!

No comments: