Sunday, July 26, 2009

it's time to make you sweat

The move is going reasonably well, although I still have a ton of stuff to pack and tomorrow is going to be brutal. I managed to pack ~20 boxes of stuff, take some clothes over to Adit's, and go to my new storage unit to sign the paperwork (and make entertaining conversation with zee German who works there). Unfortunately, I also managed to stab myself in the hand with a pair of scissors while I was flattening a box, and that's going to make things trickier since the cut reopens whenever I grip something with my left hand (the cut is right below the bottom knuckle of my left index finger). And, worse, when I moved some stuff in my closet I discovered that there must have been a minor leak at some point in my time here, which was enough to cause the books in my bottom boxes to rot and mold/mildew to grow in the carpet. Bad news bears -- luckily, the books were mostly old college textbooks, and there were only a couple that I wish I hadn't lost (although it's not like I'll want to read about Stalin's industrialization of Siberia, the history of Russian philosophy, or a biography of the head of WWII German intelligence ever again). Given that there were photos and things in some of the other boxes in the stack, I got lucky.

The packing is a bit more slow-going than it might have been because I decided to hire a junk removal service to come after I move on Tuesday, and so I'm sorting and repacking boxes that have sat in my closet or various storage facilities for years. I'm tired of moving stuff that I've known for years I have no need or desire for, and this is as good a time as any to do something about it. Of course, that doesn't save me from the fact that I have tons of stuff that is "useful" but that I don't really need -- and yet I don't want to give up any coffee mugs, even if I have forty of them, because you never know when you'll need them. But regardless, there are plenty of things that I want to get rid of, and I'm quite eager to do it even if it makes the packing more challenging than it might have been.

Okay, no more typing -- I really must go to bed so that I can get as close to finished as I possibly can tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: