Monday, January 04, 2010

may you have a thousand sons

Most of today was pretty blah, but the evening totally made up for it. I'm really not eager to go back to work; theoretically a two-week vacation should have reenergized me, but it just made me feel like I needed another two weeks, months, years, whatever. Hopefully I'll feel differently tomorrow when I'm settled back into my lovely, well-decorated office with all the lovely snacks and lovely people, but we shall see.

I failed to write today; instead, I concentrated on trying to instill some semblance of order on my apartment before Adit gets back on Tuesday. Unfortunately for him, I concentrated on my own room, which is now spic and span and well organized, but I still have crap all over the living room. However, I did run the swiffer around to collect all the errant hairs and dust bunnies, so that will have to do. I should be able to finish tidying up the living room tomorrow, but between unpacking, doing a couple of loads of laundry, going through two months' worth of mail, etc., I just didn't get to it. I also spent some quality time talking to my parents for our ritual Sunday phone call (even though I just saw them two days ago), a brief chat with Aunt Becky, and a little (but actually not a lot) of procrastinating on the internet. And, I had two delicious meals; one was frosted flakes, but they were heavenly with the fat-filled milk that I complained about yesterday. The other was a v. upscale version of a peasant-style lunch; peasants used to live on bread and cheese, but I had baguette, a soft double-cream cheese, an apple, a bit of honey, and several dates, which was awesomely, easily delightful.

I managed to clean myself up and drive down to Palo Alto in time for dinner with Vidya and Claudia at Krung Siam. We went there for old times' sake, even though there are many better restaurants in the area (although it is, after all, cheaper than many of those restaurants, and is quite tasty). We had all the usual suspects while catching up one last time before Claude's return to the east coast on Tuesday. After dinner, Vidya suggested that we try to find a restaurant that she had only been to once, whose name and location she couldn't precisely remember -- miraculously, we succeeded, and ended up having dessert at Joya. It was like having two different evenings all wrapped into one; while Krung Siam is popular with the college kids for its relatively cheap food, Joya is clearly trying to be all that, and appears to be succeeding. We were going to sit in the lounge area, but since we were glared at by the three couples who were all in varying stages of making out in the area, we repaired to the main dining room. I want to go back and try their cocktails, which look interesting, but we settled for two desserts: churros with chocolate sauce, and a strawberries and cream concoction that was perfect in its delicious simplicity. There was a band playing overly loud Spanish-infused music, which encouraged Vidya to try dancing in her seat for the majority of the evening -- but it was all v. fun.

Sadly, we had to part ways, and now I won't see Claude again until later this spring. I made the trek back to the evil city and intended to go to bed as soon as I got here, but I instead promptly wasted an hour doing dishes, catching up on Twitter, etc. Now, though, I really must go to bed -- getting up at six a.m. is not going to be welcome tomorrow, but I must try anyway. Goodnight!

No comments: