Wednesday, January 27, 2010

send up a signal i'll throw you a line

Today was a reasonably good day; I didn't write as much as I intended, but all in all I accomplished most of what I set out to do. I worked out of the city today, which meant an easy commute via the muni (almost door to door - the muni stops at my corner and takes me straight to the corner that the office building is on) instead of the obnoxious driving commute that I will face tomorrow. I slogged throughout the day, taking a break to have a great lunch with Pete (great for the food, which was sushi with a bit of seafood chowder and a couple of the best little chocolate chip cookies you will ever have (they have small flakes of sea salt on them, which makes a world of difference), and also great for the company, since I adore Pete). I then left the office around five, came home, did the v. urban thing of running to the grocery store solely for tonight's meat, and then started cooking.

Unfortunately, I was halfway through making some polenta when I discovered that I had a 6:30pm conference call that I had not actually been calendared for. Luckily, the polenta was far enough along that removing it from the heat for half an hour didn't damage it, and so I took the call, then finished making the polenta and fried myself a porkchop. I ate my unusually fancy dinner while watching an episode of Craig, and then I did a little bit of work, procrastinated a lot, and wrote about a page of my novel before deciding to throw in the towel.

Five days from now, I will be getting ready to board a plane to Singapore (via Hong Kong) with my dad, so hopefully everything goes smoothly the next few days so that I am able to get everything ready to go in time. Now, though, I should sleep; I want to get up early, slog hard, and leave at five so that I can write tomorrow night (how many times have you heard those grandiose plans before?) , so wish me luck!

No comments: