Monday, January 18, 2010

the ghost in you

Today was a day for recovery following two nights of mild debauchery. I slept until after eleven, lounged around the apartment eating bagels and watching tv with Adit, Priyanka and Eric, and then bid them a fond farewell while they went on a tour of the city and I contemplated writing. I actually was not successful at all with the writing today; I tried to go to Samovar, but there were no seats, and so I took the bus to the Tenderloin to pick up my car from the alley where I left it last night (thankfully, despite the broken safety glass on the sidewalk from break-ins of nights gone by, my car was intact and undamaged when I picked it up). I decided to go to Atlas Cafe, but it was also packed (rainy weekends in San Francisco flood the cafes), and so I ate a fantastic portobello mushroom sandwich at the bar and then drove home. I spent some quality time talking to my parents, Adit/Priyanka/Eric returned from their tour of the city, and we watched part of "The Rock" and the beginning of "The Prestige" before seeking out dinner.

Dinner ended up being soft tofu at the Korean hot pot place in the Inner Richmond that we often go to, which was perfect for a cold, rainy Sunday. We warmed up over some extremely hot (temperature-wise) and moderately spicy soup and rice while watching the end of the Golden Globes on mute. After dinner, we took Eric to the airport so that he could fly back to the east coast, and then we returned to the apartment, where we watched tonight's "60 Minutes", which had particularly heartwrenching stories about Haiti and about high school football in American Samoa, as well as the usual few minutes with Andy Rooney. Adit and I then watched the rest of "The Prestige" while Priyanka slept through most of it. I had seen bits and pieces of "The Prestige" before, and the whole movie just made me feel kind of sad, but Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale were both fantastic, and the movie was well worth seeing.

Now, though, I should really go to bed -- I have the day off tomorrow, but I need to be productive. If nothing else, I have to do my assignment for my writing class, but I also want to spend some quality time replotting my novel so that I can start to feel my way through how I'm going to incorporate my new, better idea into the framework that I already had. I also have to go to the visa outsourcing place at 5:30pm to see if I can pick up my passport, so wish me luck with that. Goodnight!

No comments: