Wednesday, January 11, 2012

a glorious existence

I was extremely productive today, which I suppose was necessary, even if my spine is crying for relief and I should probably take my contacts out before they permanently adhere to my eyeballs (does that qualify as cheap lasik?). I didn't intend to start being productive quite so early, but my phone rang at the ungodly hour of seven a.m. I didn't answer, since I don't encourage such foolishness -- but as it turns out, the person who called didn't expect me to answer, but hoped that it would wake me up so I would check my email. Their nefarious plan succeeded, and my email told me that the business school rec I was writing (due today) was actually due at 9am, not at some civilized 11:59pm hour like I blithely assumed. Oops. So I'm glad the person in question woke me up, since I would have felt horrible if I scotched his/her chances at b-school through procrastination.

I finished the rec by around eight, which wasn't hard since I'd written one already and could reuse some of it. Then I went back to sleep and slept until 10:30. Then I woke up, messed around, made some breakfast/lunch (oatmeal and bacon), took care of some administrative tasks for my various romance volunteering activities, and finally hied myself downtown to get my hair cut. I saw Susie, as usual, and she was good, as usual; we discussed the trials and travails of dating (to which I didn't have much to add other than that I'm not bothering right now, even though theoretically I should probably put some effort to meeting people whom I've known for less than a decade, right?), and then I told her all about my books. She was super psyched, and I may have gotten her to choose it for her book club, which would be awesome. Then, I got my eyebrows waxed, since they were too unsightly for words now that my bangs are shorter and don't cover them up. Then I went to Samovar and wrote for a couple of hours while getting myself super hyped up on chai. Yum.

When I got home, I thought about writing some more, but I decided to knock out the rest of the b-school recs for this person so that I wouldn't risk getting woken up again sometime in the next couple of weeks. That took some serious quality time, since I still had four left to do, but I successfully knocked them all out. I also cooked a steak, which I ate basically by itself since I was too lazy to do anything else. And then I answered email for a couple of hours, and then I set up an AdWords account for my new book (which was entertaining; I did quality assurance for ads for multiple years, and yet I still tried to create an ad with too much capitalization. Ha.) And now, my friends, I must sleep -- goodnight!

No comments: