Sunday, January 29, 2012

set fire to the rain

I'll own up right now to the fact that I'm intoxicated, so that you don't have to wait until the very end of the post to find out what I got up to tonight. I know, I spoil you. You can thank me later.

Anyway, I had a lovely day -- not enough writing got done, but as it's currently impossible to get enough writing done no matter how much I do, perhaps I should forgive myself. I did make myself some delicious eggs for breakfast, and I cleaned the kitchen and my room, and I took care of some email stuff, and I did a little bit of writing. Then I spent an inordinate amount of time getting ready for dinner, since I basically spent the entire last week in my sweats -- any chance I get to dress up these days is one I embrace with open arms, so I pulled out a cute top and slathered on the makeup even though it was almost certainly wasted on the friends I was going out with, since I've known them longer than I've known anyone except my family/hometown peeps.

But before dinner, I went to Four Barrel Coffee at 14th and Valencia; I decided to go to that neighborhood and hour early and write, since I was worried I would have cab troubles, and the plan was a solid one. Four Barrel was still a hipster scene even at six p.m., but it was less of a scene than usual, and I was able to get a latte with no line and a table without a wait, so it was a totally amazing experience. Then I strolled up the block to Mission Beach Cafe, where Chris, Connie, Adit and I had a reservation for dinner. Mission Beach Cafe is awesome for brunch, but it is a complete and utter scene then, with a 1-2hr wait; at dinner, it's still a scene, but it's a more mellow scene since they take reservations and there isn't a crush of people outside waiting to get in. It's definitely on the nicer side of where I usually go, but the food and ambience are amazing. Boyd and I are both on the no-gluten train, so he got a porkchop and I got steak; I loved my steak, but I tasted his chop and have to admit that he won the meat sweepstakes tonight. Adit and Connie both got a goat cheese ravioli, which I didn't try, and a mushroom soup that was outstanding. And we split two bottles of wine, which left us feeling warm and happy.

Unwilling for the fun to end, we walked up the street to 14th and Market (where Adit and I used to live) and had another drink at a bar there -- I once again made my classic mistake of picking based on name, and so I drank a cocktail called RIDING WITH DEATH, which involved tequila, which is all you need to know. It was better than I deserved, but still added a rough edge to my wine buzz. After we finished there, Chris and Connie went back to the glorious south bay, and I walked with Adit in the direction of a house party. I didn't intend to go in, but once I got there I couldn't say no, and so I went up with him. As it turns out, the house party was hosted by the boyfriend of my college friend Pavithra, who was on staff with me/Allie/Walter in an auxiliary/non-RA role, and whom I don't think I've seen since graduation. So that was surreal, and we spent some quality time catching up. The night ended the way all my nights with Adit end -- we did a completely unnecessary shot, this time of Fernet, before he helped me find a cab home. He was continuing on to another party, but since it was already 1:30am and I need to sober up if I'm going to write tomorrow, it was time to call it a night.

So now I must go to sleep, so that I can write tomorrow -- demand for the second book should be decent if people liked the first book, and I must must must finish it. Heiress is still doing amazingly well...it's up to #28 in all romance / #7 in historical romance / #4 in Regency, and it's #69 in the Nook Top 100 (across all genres), so that's absolutely incredible. I really can't believe it's doing so well -- I had faith in it, but this has exceeded all my hopes and expectations, so thank you to those of you who've bought it/recommended it to friends/not sabotaged me. You're the best!

And now I must sleep so that I can wake up and write a book. Goodnight!

No comments: