Wednesday, January 18, 2012

sudoku ain't gonna do itself

This morning kicked off with an early surprise, when I got a call at nine a.m. for a package delivery -- turns out that Aunt B and the scandalous uncle had sent me a bottle of champagne to celebrate my upcoming book release, which was totally lovely of them. I must hide it so that I don't accidentally open it at the end of a drunken binge, thus wasting it at the end of a night rather than savoring it at the beginning of one. Picking up the package was the only time I left the house today; I spent the rest of it chained to my desk, alternating between writing Malcolm/Amelia and obsessing over Ferguson/Madeleine's launch (you can guess which of those got more of my attention vs. which I should have spent more time on). I did take a break in the middle of the day to make lunch, which was simple and delish -- scrambled eggs with zucchini, onions, basil and thyme. Yum.

By seven, though, I couldn't stare at my computer any longer, so I decided to take a break and start a book while eating supper (leftover boeuf bourguignon). And I knew in my heart of hearts that I would finish the whole book, but I did it anyway -- I devoured Kresley Cole's latest release, LOTHAIRE, which I'd been looking forward to for years (months since the last release, but years since it became clear he was going to have his own book). I wanted to read it before my next encounter with Heather so that we could debrief together, since she's reading it right now too, and since it came out almost a week ago, my forbearance has been astonishing. And really, I loved it; there were bits that I didn't love, and for once I almost thought a book was too long, but all in all I thought it was possibly her strongest book in ages, and definitely worth the wait.

And now that I've answered email and obsessed some more, I should go to bed; I have to go down to Palo Alto in the morning, and since I don't have a hangover to stop me, I should probably get some sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: